Who currently builds 18 watters?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Who currently builds 18 watters?

Post by JMPGuitars »

crgfrench wrote:
Wed 11/13/19 9:12 pm
It's all so subjective. Hard to draw the line WRT the strict definitions of this site. The OP's choice, Carol Ann, uses 6V6 output tubes and God knows what else. That itself screams "delete the information" according to the site logic. I say that without any malice, it's just frustrating trying to adhere to subjective standards.

EDIT: My bad it looks like the Carol Ann model the OP bought is indeed an 18W clone, using EL84s etc.
Tubes don't define the circuit. The difference between running EL84, 6v6, or EL34 isn't all that significant with this circuit. There's versions with different tube variations in our downloads section.

Also, it's not so subjective. If you can find and compare schematics, similarities become apparent.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

What specific deviations from a reference circuit (eg, storage/18w%20Schematic.gif) are acceptable to this site? If as you say; the tubes don't matter, what does? Transformers? Coupling caps? Filter caps? Is there an acceptable range of values for the various resistors? Is a solid state recto acceptable? What if an extremely similar circuit is billed as 17 watts or 20 watts?

You see what I'm getting at? Without an objective set of criteria, someone will always complain that a suggestion shouldn't even be in the sandbox.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

You're getting too caught up in component values. Values by themselves don't determine the circuit. The circuit is a sequence from input to output. Each stage of that circuit has a specific design and function. Study it more. It doesn't matter if even an entire section is modified. There's still something tying it back to the original circuit. However, for the classic 18 watt sound, you need the typical circuit with the correct B+. If you have a person specifically requesting "18 watters" - then it should be closer to the original concepts - classic, TMB, Lite 2, etc...
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Sure. But for the purpose of excluding commercial amplifiers from a list we don't typically have access to schematics, much less the voltages.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

crgfrench wrote:
Thu 11/14/19 10:07 pm
Sure. But for the purpose of excluding commercial amplifiers from a list we don't typically have access to schematics, much less the voltages.
That's on them. Besides, many commercial makers say if their amp is based on this circuit (if it is).
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Perhaps someone with more time and energy than I have can create a better more parsimonious list that would be acceptable. As far as I can see mine was the only reply that addressed the OP's question. Sorry it was out of bounds.
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Fri 11/15/19 6:34 am
That's on them. Besides, many commercial makers say if their amp is based on this circuit (if it is).
So for example, what are we to make of the Swart Mod 84? Could be based on Marshall 18W circuit, could be based on Vox circuit. No way to tell. But my inclination, though it is billed as a 15W amp, is to include it in a list of comparable amps. Having no objective set of criteria for inclusion on this site, it's an impossible task to properly discriminate.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

crgfrench wrote:
Sat 11/30/19 1:11 am
So for example, what are we to make of the Swart Mod 84? Could be based on Marshall 18W circuit, could be based on Vox circuit. No way to tell. But my inclination, though it is billed as a 15W amp, is to include it in a list of comparable amps. Having no objective set of criteria for inclusion on this site, it's an impossible task to properly discriminate.
No way. The guidelines are very specific. If the amps aren't based on the original Marshall 18 watt, or Watkins Dominator, then they don't belong on that list. You seriously need to get over the wattage number and focus on the circuit. If the manufacturer doesn't say it's based on this circuit, then it isn't, and you should move on.
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster