Building my first 18watt from the ground up.

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

spin

Building my first 18watt from the ground up.

Post by spin »

Greetings everyone, this is my first post here. Quick intro, my name is Tommy, I build pedals and sometimes I build amps. I've done some Champs, a Bassman, a 100w SLO, and a Fender stand alone reverb. All of which were verified projects before I started. A few months back I picked up a small headshell on another forum and decided to do something 18 watt, from scratch. I chose to try the TMB with single/parallel input. Any criticisms of my schematic below would be well received (note the written voltages have since been raised from PI forward). I've built a working prototype as well, but it's not quite where I want it to be.
62385958_594086901068314_6094121915109081088_n.jpg
62271382_348498312521343_879119907877289984_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
If practice makes perfect, and nobody is perfect, then why practice?

It hurts me to say this.. but.. follow me on facebook and.. :( instagram

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Building my first 18watt from the ground up.

Post by JMPGuitars »

Welcome to the site!

I would recommend comparing your schematic to one of our verified schematics in the download section: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24433

Find what's closest to yours, and then ask follow-up questions if you have any.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

hello,
looking forward to seeing this one! what transformers are you going to use? your el84 plate voltage is quite low,is there a reason for this?
good luck with your build.
0 x

spin

Post by spin »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Sat 06/15/19 7:03 pm
hello,
looking forward to seeing this one! what transformers are you going to use? your el84 plate voltage is quite low,is there a reason for this?
good luck with your build.
I'm using a set of Edcor transformers (xpwr221, cxpp21-mx-8.6k). When I did the math at the beginning, I calculated 250-0-250 would give me the 340V B+ I was going for, obviously there was an error in this calculation. I'm pondering ordering a 285-0-285 for the final build. As it sits right now, I have 318 at B+, 310 at plates. 295 at screens, 281 at PI, 273 at V2, and 268 at V1.
Thanks for the encouragement, it's been a learning experience.

What the chassis may look like:
57272206_259951784798068_1032227005124313088_n.jpg
57504476_572973899874750_4839009961570729984_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

look's good!
if you are using diodes to rectify 285-0-285 will be a bit too high,275-0-275 will give you a B+ of around 355VDC give or take.have a look at the classic 18W voltage chart in the downloads also if you look through the schematics a few have voltages.there is quite a bit of variation i.e. the lite 2b's can have up to 350V on the plates whereas the latest superlite voltages are lower in comparison.it depends on what you are aiming for with tone & headroom.
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Hi Spin, are you the guy who builds BMP PCBs?
1 x

spin

Post by spin »

geoff 1965 wrote: look's good!
if you are using diodes to rectify 285-0-285 will be a bit too high,275-0-275 will give you a B+ of around 355VDC give or take.have a look at the classic 18W voltage chart in the downloads also if you look through the schematics a few have voltages.there is quite a bit of variation i.e. the lite 2b's can have up to 350V on the plates whereas the latest superlite voltages are lower in comparison.it depends on what you are aiming for with tone & headroom.
I really appreciate the input, I'm looking into some options now. 275-0-275 seems more reasonable, I figured if I went high, I could use a dropping resistor to bring it down. Now that I have a working example, I'll have something to measure current draw on and get a better calculation. For the first go-around, the trial and error hasn't been too bad, just wish it wasn't on iron. Maybe I can come up with some cool SE one off to utilize the transformer.
I wish I knew what I was aiming for tone wise. I do like some gain, but I don't want to end up with a collection of high gain amps. As I said in my opening post, I make pedals, so realistically I should keep this kinda low gain to use a pedal platform. It's about the journey anyway, I'll be having fun regardless.

crgfrench wrote:Hi Spin, are you the guy who builds BMP PCBs?
Yes, I do make a BMP and RAT project PCB that I was offering on the DIY Stompboxes Facebook page. I also have an assortment of other non-project boards.
64319954_1047106062151775_3436845118160633856_n.jpg
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

spin wrote:
Sun 06/16/19 8:03 am
Yes, I do make a BMP and RAT project PCB that I was offering on the DIY Stompboxes Facebook page. I also have an assortment of other non-project boards.
64319954_1047106062151775_3436845118160633856_n.jpg
Nice looking boards, where do you have them made?

Thanks,
Josh
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

spin

Post by spin »

JMPGuitars wrote: Nice looking boards, where do you have them made?

Thanks,
Josh
The ones pictured are from JLCpcb.com out of China. I usually start with a small batch from OshPark before committing to a larger order. I'm not overly happy about using a Chinese supplier (Sorry to any Chinese folks here, I like to source locally, nothing personal), but the service from JLC has been great and the turnaround is fast. I've had no issues at all with the PCBs and the quality is higher than you'd expect for the price.
EagleCAD is my primary software, but I'm looking at moving over to KiCAD once I figure it out.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

spin wrote:
Sun 06/16/19 8:17 am
The ones pictured are from JLCpcb.com out of China. I usually start with a small batch from OshPark before committing to a larger order. I'm not overly happy about using a Chinese supplier (Sorry to any Chinese folks here, I like to source locally, nothing personal), but the service from JLC has been great and the turnaround is fast. I've had no issues at all with the PCBs and the quality is higher than you'd expect for the price.
EagleCAD is my primary software, but I'm looking at moving over to KiCAD once I figure it out.
Interesting. I'll have to check them out. I've been interested in trying out OSHPark, but I originally designed all my boards in Express PCB, and I've been too busy to redesign them in a different program. I'd try out JLC too, but do they do through-hole vias? I downloaded kicad, maybe I'll see how it goes when I get some free time.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

spin

Post by spin »

JMPGuitars wrote:Interesting. I'll have to check them out. I've been interested in trying out OSHPark, but I originally designed all my boards in Express PCB, and I've been too busy to redesign them in a different program. I'd try out JLC too, but do they do through-hole vias? I downloaded kicad, maybe I'll see how it goes when I get some free time.

Thanks,
Josh
The strain relief on the wiring of the BMP board is just a large plated via. I actually think JLC is more capable than OSHPark (slots and whatnot). They also offer a lot more layers, though I don't even expect to use more than the standard 2 sided boards. Another draw of JLC is the solder mask color options at no extra charge. You will have to export Gerbers for JLC, OSH will natively read .brd EagleCAD files.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

spin wrote:
Sun 06/16/19 9:19 am
The strain relief on the wiring of the BMP board is just a large plated via. I actually think JLC is more capable than OSHPark (slots and whatnot). They also offer a lot more layers, though I don't even expect to use more than the standard 2 sided boards. Another draw of JLC is the solder mask color options at no extra charge. You will have to export Gerbers for JLC, OSH will natively read .brd EagleCAD files.
Yeah, I usually am only using 2 layers too. I definitely like free color options. ;)
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Huh ...similarities abound:
Caps BMP 13 & Fullerwell 14
Resistors BMP 23 & Fullerwell 24
Transistors BMP 4 & Fullerwell (tubes) 4 or 5
Diodes BMP 4 & Fullerwell 4
Pots BMP 3 & Fullerwell 4

I will order your PCB that looks like a fun project!
1 x

spin

Post by spin »

crgfrench wrote: Huh ...similarities abound:
Caps BMP 13 & Fullerwell 14
Resistors BMP 23 & Fullerwell 24
Transistors BMP 4 & Fullerwell (tubes) 4 or 5
Diodes BMP 4 & Fullerwell 4
Pots BMP 3 & Fullerwell 4

I will order your PCB that looks like a fun project!
I appreciate the support. The BMP is the better of the two projects, not to say the RAT isn't fun, just that the BMP has a lot more range, IMO. Shoot me a PM, we'll get one out your way. I have a BOM from my vintage ramshead and some button top transistors I can pass on, well worth a test run.
1 x

spin

Post by spin »

Made some boards after I verified the layout. I think they turned out quite nice. 2mm FR-4 and 2oz copper.
JLC PCB (low).jpg
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Looks nice!

BTW- I started using KiCad. So far it's not bad. I already made my schematic, when I have time I'll move on to the board.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

spin

Post by spin »

I used KiCad for these boards, but I did not use the schematic editor. I'm working on learning that part soon when I can put some time into it. I was able to draw these using just plated VIAs for the turrets and wirepads. I used eagle to do the base layout as I'm still faster using it and have my libraries built up. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in it.
2 x

spin

Post by spin »

Drilled the top of chassis today and did a test fit. Little tight, but I'm not seeing any problems yet.
65884947_1304533469716004_1308544439077044224_n.jpg
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

If you turn your tube sockets 45 degrees, they'd all fit better, and you could put them in a single row. Having them in a single row means the heater wires won't be traveling under or around the board. The heater wires can cause issues with noise and such, so keeping them shorter and together usually works out to your advantage.

I'd also suggest using taller standoffs. A little more room will give better airflow around the board.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

colossal

Post by colossal »

Very creative!

So did you swage and then solder the turrets (on the bottom) to the vias?
0 x