18w transformers

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: 18w transformers

Post by crgfrench »

zuceno wrote:
Fri 07/19/19 12:01 pm
This is the only incident I've seen where the sound of something is judged on someone's photographic skills.
When I was younger and even stupider than I am now, I was enthralled by the photos and marketing descriptions in the Mesa Boogie catalog. Oh, how sweet "Simul-class" must sound! And Santana even said it boogies! Man, did I overpay for a 150W Mark III head with six octal Power tubes. I mean it sounded ...Okay? It was loud, no doubt. But nothing tone-wise like the sweetness of an 18 Watter. Come to think of it, not even close to the tones from my '83 Superchamp. It's amazing what photos and marketing text can do to a buyer's objectivity.
3 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: 18w transformers

Post by katopan »

To the original poster:
You have a quality set of transformers in your hands. They stand equal or rival any other available, Heyboer and others. If you ever think you may build an 18 Watt of any type, or any other amp that can use them, hold onto them.

Otherwise amp forums may give you more interest than Gumtree, Ebay, etc. Many have buy/sell sections which can be very active. Which one probably depends what country you're in. Lots of guys on AmpGarage especially if you're in the States. AGGH for Australia. Wattkins is a great forum but small and no active buy/sell. TDPRI is Tele guitars but gets lots of traffic. EL34 World looks like it's still good and has buy/sell. There are others as well. Keep in mind many require a minimum post count to sell.

Lastly for what it's worth.... I joined the 18 Watt revival really late (bit over 10 years ago). At that point in time Steve S was already well established as *the* guy to buy transformer sets from for UK and Europe. His OT replicated the original RS winding pattern just the same as the other few suppliers at the time that had taken the time to analyse a tear down and arrange a source of supply. The only ones thought of as possibly better back then were Ingo Gorges' one-off builds (Shinrock, became Präzisions-Wickeltechnik, no longer available) which of course they cost more than everyone else's. A story that's become legend over time is that in the beginning Steve's OT was actually the most accurate because he had been able to source imperial winding wire sizes instead of rounding to the nearest metric wire size like everyone else did.
6 x