18 watt superlite TMB volume control question

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

mac dillard

18 watt superlite TMB volume control question

Post by mac dillard »

I loaned out my Super lite to a friend and he has come back and wants to know if I can reduce the volume some.(it is really loud) Strange request from a guitar player..we had the normal discussion of that is what the two volume controls are for but he wants to turn it up enough to get some breakup and it still not be so loud...my question is (I don't want to do a VVR) is can I do this by putting a resistor in front of the second volume control (V2) making it into a voltage divider and reduce the volume some without effecting the tone of the amp. Thanks..
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: 18 watt superlite TMB volume control question

Post by JMPGuitars »

No, changing the circuit will change the tone of the amp. Your best bet is an attenuator (get at least 50 watts).
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Tfultz

Post by Tfultz »

I’m having opposite problem. My post on transformer differences. I want my classic tone build to be loud like my heyboer build. And all voltages are within the range. I’m puzzled
0 x

mac dillard

Post by mac dillard »

I would check the shielded cable (if you used it) around the tone stack for a whisker from the shield grounding out the center wire..Just a shot in the dark.
1 x