TMB with 6V6?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

dogmeat
Unrated

TMB with 6V6?

Post by dogmeat »

I looked around this site & didn't see such a thing. what do you think? I'm kinda on a 6V6 roll these days & I like that schematic. I also have a nice new Classic Tone 18W PT that needs a spot somewhere. I believe the voltages are higher than the schematic. pro/con? I've built 4 amps & done some mods & repairs etc so not a total noob
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: TMB with 6V6?

Post by crgfrench »

You can build a Lite IIB with 6V6s instead of EL84s.

EDIT ahh sorry thats not TMB. You can build the TMB with 6V6s instead of EL84s also, see http://www.trinityamps.com/wp-content/u ... ic-v12.pdf
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

dogmeat wrote:
Sat 08/17/19 7:01 pm
I looked around this site & didn't see such a thing. what do you think? I'm kinda on a 6V6 roll these days & I like that schematic. I also have a nice new Classic Tone 18W PT that needs a spot somewhere. I believe the voltages are higher than the schematic. pro/con? I've built 4 amps & done some mods & repairs etc so not a total noob
You didn't search that well. ;) There's plenty of posts about 6v6 builds. Here's a fairly recent one: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25224&hilit=6v6#p241688

Running 6v6 instead of EL84 isn't that big of a difference. You mostly need to bias them differently (as you can see in that schematic, though his bias resistor is higher than the Dockery layout he likely copied).

Here's another post showing the Dockery layout/schematic that has info for both EL84 or 6v6: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25190&p=241297&hilit=6v6#p241299

Here's the dockery schematic: http://rh-tech.org/public/18-Watt/Docke ... ematic.pdf

You can essentially use that power section layout with just about any 18 watt amp, but it's already a TMB. I'd compare it to Richie's TMB values and see what looks good to you.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

dogmeat
Unrated

Post by dogmeat »

'doh... I posted wrong. it's the Superlite TMB circuit I had in mind. I did see all those other diagrams you guys posted. what I had in mind is single input, no reverb, so the Superlite preamp to a 6V6 power section. is that just a simple cut & paste? I was hoping it have been done & fine tuned a bit. sorry for the confusion.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

dogmeat wrote:
Sun 08/18/19 5:23 pm
'doh... I posted wrong. it's the Superlite TMB circuit I had in mind. I did see all those other diagrams you guys posted. what I had in mind is single input, no reverb, so the Superlite preamp to a 6V6 power section. is that just a simple cut & paste? I was hoping it have been done & fine tuned a bit. sorry for the confusion.
No worries! Like I said, you can use the power section changes for almost any of the 18watt amps on this site. I made a 36 Watt EL34 Superlite TMB, it came out great.

You can make your Superlite TMB with 6V6s by wiring the sockets correctly for the 6V6s, and change the bias stuff like Dockery has it. Then tweak from there if needed.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

dogmeat
Unrated

Post by dogmeat »

kool.... will report progress. thanks
1 x

mac dillard

Post by mac dillard »

My notes from several years ago, think this info came from Phil. Change the cathode bias resistor to about 250 ohms, change the PI tail resistor to 27K and the screen resistors to 470 and you should be good to go.
2 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

mac dillard wrote:
Mon 08/19/19 1:23 pm
...and the screen resistors to 470 and you should be good to go.
Perhaps you meant "... and the grid leak resistors from 470k to 270k..."? I believe that would do it.
0 x

mac dillard

Post by mac dillard »

No, replace the 100 ohm screen resistors with 470 ohm. The 470's are more in line with the 6V6's. He did not say anything about changing the 470K grid leak resistors.
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

There's only one (shared) screen resistor in that schematic and I agree it could be 2 (independent) and they could be 470 or even 1k each.

You should also adjust the grid leak values.
0 x

mac dillard

Post by mac dillard »

Guess you are looking at a different schematic than the one I have. Mine is dated 7/8/2007. Drawing by Mark Huss, concept Z. Phil...18Watt Superlite TMB. There is a 100R on the screen of each of the two tubes.Hard to believe that I built this amp 12 years ago...I getting really old.
1 x

mac dillard

Post by mac dillard »

For what it is worth I just finished Mark Huss's Plexi 6v6. It has 100K grid leak resistors for the 6V6 tubes.
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

I was looking at the Dockery schematic referenced earlier in this thread.
0 x

colossal

Post by colossal »

mac dillard wrote:
Mon 08/19/19 10:39 pm
For what it is worth I just finished Mark Huss's Plexi 6v6. It has 100K grid leak resistors for the 6V6 tubes.
That amp runs high plate voltages and in fixed bias. 100k is the limit for Rg for a 6V6 in fixed bias, according to the datasheet. Didn't stop Fender from using 220k though.
1 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

Not sure if you will have seen this. There are suggestions there for the values you can use for the power stage. Credit JamesRR on Wattkins for drawing the schematics to suit the Wattkins Universal PCB.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dQ5X4V ... 29yuI/view

Dd
3 x

AussieTim

Post by AussieTim »

I am in the slow process of building a Trinity style siii with switching from EL34 to 6V6,s
I am building by re-purposing the parts from an unfinished project and have built a turret board the same as trinity,s
The correspondence I have had with them has been helpful and I would have bought their kit if I didn't acquire this project
Anyway here,s a link to their support site you may find it useful
http://www.trinityamps.com/support/
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

yeah i have that link saved on my laptop,some very good schematics/layouts and a very useful builders guide.
0 x