Favorite speaker in your 1x12 18 watter?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

pete12string
Unrated

Favorite speaker in your 1x12 18 watter?

Post by pete12string »

For me, the Celestion Greenback is sounding pretty good! I know another guy who suggested a Creamback M as being his favorite. I played around with an Avatar Hellatone A25 Alnico which sounded real nice too. Thinking of trying some others - just for fun!

What speaker does it for you?
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Favorite speaker in your 1x12 18 watter?

Post by crgfrench »

New Italian P12R in my Denim Deluxe, sounds like warm alnico should. But the amp has a cathodyne PI which I think pairs well with alnico generally.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Greenback is usually the go-to for these amps. They do sound great, especially some of the non-Celestion versions.

Personally I've been using an Eminence Red Fang 16 ohm Alnico 12" for a while now. That's the speaker in all my recent demos.
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

yeah i've yet to try a good greenback with my 18W!
i have a 50W celestian 1970's datecode which has a "woody" tone & nice breakup but my favourite for tone is an Eminence speaker i bought from Peavey,it's from the Bravo 20W valve combo,made in usa and i think it's rated at 65W. it sounds similar spec as the "creamback" referred to in that carol anne amp pete12string posted.
0 x

mac dillard

Post by mac dillard »

Anyone tried one of the Warehouse Guitar Speaker speakers. ie the Green Beret or the Invader 50.
0 x

colossal

Post by colossal »

I have to put in another vote for the Greenback. Quintessential 18W sound. I really like the 20W Heritage and alas, they were recently discontinued :( The 30W G12H30 Heritage is another good one. Slightly later breakup but a very bold sound.
1 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

so with the greenbacks which magnet size i.e. Medium or Heavy suits the 18W best and what seperates them tonally? i presume the heavier magnet will give you a bassier sound but does it affect the level of breakup as well?
this eminence of mine hits the spot for me with tone & bass response but i don't get the earlier breakup of a 20 or 30 watt speaker.
keep it simple lads! i don't want to hear about "alice in chains" or "george metropoop"!!
2 x

AussieTim

Post by AussieTim »

I picked up an Eminence Private Jack for my project and I think it sounds great. Of course someone else may think they sound like rubbish but for a good speaker that didn't break the bank I'm happy
1 x

Riffmonster

Post by Riffmonster »

I have a WGS Green Beret in my Cab, but it is a 10" one. It sounded awful when not broken in but after a few hours it is an awesome speaker. Load, punchy, woody yet warm. Very efficient too I have the impression.
I think it might sound better than the newer Celestion Greenbacks made in China. I can not compare it to a vintage Greenback though. I still want a late 70s Blackback though.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

AussieTim wrote:
Thu 08/22/19 6:50 am
I picked up an Eminence Private Jack for my project and I think it sounds great. Of course someone else may think they sound like rubbish but for a good speaker that didn't break the bank I'm happy
Those are great! I had one in a previous combo I sold.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Mojotone sells a Celestion 12" greenback "Watchtower" for $110, I think it's China made by Celestion. Seems like a great price; I have never tried one.
0 x

colossal

Post by colossal »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Wed 08/21/19 8:33 pm
so with the greenbacks which magnet size i.e. Medium or Heavy suits the 18W best and what seperates them tonally? i presume the heavier magnet will give you a bassier sound but does it affect the level of breakup as well?
this eminence of mine hits the spot for me with tone & bass response but i don't get the earlier breakup of a 20 or 30 watt speaker.
keep it simple lads! i don't want to hear about "alice in chains" or "george metropoop"!!
Geoff,

For my taste I prefer the Medium. It just works so well. Now, I will qualify that a little by saying that while I like the classic 18W combo sound, it's not my favorite and I prefer a different cab setup. I typically open up the amp to where it starts to really breath and get the speakers singing a little. The clean is never truly squeaky clean but it's warm and sounds killer. I'm not really playing at full blown cone breakup levels. I find that when I hear the G12H30, my brain instantly hears Hendrix. It's a thing that speaker does and I can pick it out. The distortion sound is a little harder with a sort of bark. It's a good match with the amp and efficient if you need a little more volume, but not my personal favorite. As for volume, I play comfortably loud but I like low wattage speakers because they react and respond very well to the amp. The medium is very warm and woody sounding with a papery, reedy quality to it. I compared it to some 65W greenback equivalents and while I loved the 65s, the 20W greenback just had the sweetness and clarity in the top end that I wanted and that I was getting from it at the volumes I play at.
2 x