Mids in tone stack, very little change

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

gkwallace

Mids in tone stack, very little change

Post by gkwallace »

Just finished my first build and nothing went up in flames!
My middle knob in the tone stack makes very little difference in tone
I've included a pdf of my tone stack

thanks for the help
tone stack.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Mids in tone stack, very little change

Post by crgfrench »

Your treble control has a slightly lower than normal frequency cutoff due to the 500pF cap which is higher than the 470pF Marshall or 250pF Fender value. Also your mid has a higher than normal frequency cutoff due to the 0.01uF cap which is lower than the 0.022uF Marshall or 0.047 Fender value.

It could be your treble control has more effect relative to the mid control because of this. I would try an 0.022uF cap where your 0.01 cap is first and see if that helps. Then maybe replace the 500pF cap with a 470pF or lower value.
0 x

gkwallace

Post by gkwallace »

crgfrench wrote:
Thu 12/12/19 6:12 pm
Your treble control has a slightly lower than normal frequency cutoff due to the 500pF cap which is higher than the 470pF Marshall or 250pF Fender value. Also your mid has a higher than normal frequency cutoff due to the 0.01uF cap which is lower than the 0.022uF Marshall or 0.047 Fender value.

It could be your treble control has more effect relative to the mid control because of this. I would try an 0.022uF cap where your 0.01 cap is first and see if that helps. Then maybe replace the 500pF cap with a 470pF or lower value.
Thank you. Makes perfect sense.
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Also maybe just double check that you used linear pots for the mid & treble. And log taper for the Bass.
1 x