Suitable 18w PT with 12-18v secondary

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Dingletrut
Unrated

Suitable 18w PT with 12-18v secondary

Post by Dingletrut »

Hello everybody.

I'm building an 18w as my first valve/tube circuit and I'd like to incorporate some of my solid state circuits (eq, variable mid boost, etc) in the preamp. Not having to use an extra transformer for this would simplify thing quite a bit, so I'm looking for a PT with the normal voltages and an extra winding to power the SS stuff. I haven't been able to find one so far. Could any of you knowledgeable folks point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
0 x

colossal

Re: Suitable 18w PT with 12-18v secondary

Post by colossal »

You could add a dedicated, small 12-0-12VAC for a bipolar supply for your SS additions, or have a transformer wound to include the accessory winding. Pretty much all commercially available 18W transformer sets are wound to the original Radiospares specification, so no extra windings. You might reach out to Heyboer or Edcor USA to look into having a custom transformer wound to your specs.
0 x

Dingletrut
Unrated

Re: Suitable 18w PT with 12-18v secondary

Post by Dingletrut »

colossal wrote:
Tue 12/17/19 11:25 am
You could add a dedicated, small 12-0-12VAC for a bipolar supply for your SS additions, or have a transformer wound to include the accessory winding. Pretty much all commercially available 18W transformer sets are wound to the original Radiospares specification, so no extra windings. You might reach out to Heyboer or Edcor USA to look into having a custom transformer wound to your specs.
Ah! I guess that explains why I couldn't find any. I'll look into custom transformers for my next build :)
Thanks for replying!
1 x