Speaker output jack function

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

stomp944
Unrated

Speaker output jack function

Post by stomp944 »

Question regarding Cliff 1/4" mono 4 pin jacks. I used five of them on my 18W TMB (three inputs, two outputs). The outputs to speaker are wired in parallel as I've seen in a few layouts (per photo attachment), and grounded from the second of the two. When the speaker cable is in the first jack, all works as expected. In the second jack, nothing. No click, buzz, sound, anything (I don't believe I have ever tried two speakers at the same time). Until now I'd just ignored it and used the first jack only, but there should be a reason. Do these have any history of defect or is it likely a rookie wiring/grounding issue? Cheers.
Sean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Speaker output jack function

Post by JMPGuitars »

Normally I wire the negative & ground on the same side as the positive wire, and run the ground to the power amp star ground.

That said, it's possible to melt those jacks, and while not common, defects are also possible. Check your solder joints, and you can test continuity/resistance with the amp off to a speaker cable to see if the jacks behave differently on the meter.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

stomp944
Unrated

Post by stomp944 »

thanks for input, Josh.
1 x

stomp944
Unrated

Post by stomp944 »

Yup, thank you. That easy check identified a ground issue - not with the Cliff jack. I had a relatively small drop of solder at one lug which didn't make complete connection with buss wire ('hidden') beneath it. Geez. But feel much better having identified and sorted it now.....
Thanks again,
Sean
1 x