18W classic new voltage chart with new PT

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

18W classic new voltage chart with new PT

Post by Bieworm »

Well the new PT arrived. I bought a homebrand transformer from Tube Town in Germany. It costed 69€ , which was a bargain cuz the Hammond 290PAZ is 104€.
The homebrand transfo has an extra 8V winding that might be useful someday. All specs looked the same as the hammond's so I gave it a chance. No details where it's from or what manufacturer makes these, except that they are made in Europe. Probably something like Portugal, Tsjech, Poland ... looks like good quality, well constructed. The hammond had black paint all over the wires from painting the transformer, which was very confusing at determining what the color of the wire is. Not with this tube town PT. Very clean, nice stuff.
https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/tt-po ... ed.htmlell after testing everything thoroughly (with lightbulb current limiter) I fired her up. Might be imagining this, but it sounds better than before. Voltages are way more on spec. Due to the fact I rewired the complete wiring around the turretboard it is now a completely silent amp humwise and hisswise. I think I did a neat and clean job this time.

I will be leaving it this way for now... sorry Josh for not proceeding with the TMB tremolo for now. But I really like the classic and I want to play it instead of working on it. I will buy another chassis and PT , OT, sockets,... and build a separate one.
20200315_232321.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: 18W classic new voltage chart with new PT

Post by JMPGuitars »

No worries, I agree you should keep them separate. You've got a working amp, and there's nothing wrong with that. Keep us posted when you do build the second one. I know a lot of people are interested in the Tremolo TMB, so I'm sure others will post it eventually too.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale