OD pedal?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

sruffinc

Re: OD pedal?

Post by sruffinc »

So R18 and R19? The 100k resistors?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

sruffinc wrote:
Sat 06/13/20 3:36 pm
So R18 and R19? The 100k resistors?
Yup. Though that numbering is based on the classic schematic, and not all schematics follow it.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

sruffinc

Post by sruffinc »

All resistors seem to be in spec. I had a lot of carbon comp, but replaced all but those 100k PI plate resistors with carbon film. B+ came up to 350. PI plates at 200 and grids still a little low at 34.

One thing to note - I have trouble getting a reading on the V5 plate attached to the OT. Very noisy and hard to get a reading. I re-soldered the wire, but no change. Does that mean anything?

Voltages -
Voltage 6.14.2020.pdf
Amp sounds very good, but I want it to hold up. Anything else I should check?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

sruffinc wrote:
Sun 06/14/20 2:09 pm
All resistors seem to be in spec. I had a lot of carbon comp, but replaced all but those 100k PI plate resistors with carbon film. B+ came up to 350. PI plates at 200 and grids still a little low at 34.

One thing to note - I have trouble getting a reading on the V5 plate attached to the OT. Very noisy and hard to get a reading. I re-soldered the wire, but no change. Does that mean anything?
That's funny, the PI plates are the only place carbon comp are actually a good thing.

It sounds to me like you have an oscillation affecting your OT. Check the wires in the vicinity of the power tubes and OT wires. Make sure there's no parallel ground or anything like that (the OT black wire is negative, not ground - don't worry about that one). Chopstick them a bit and see if you can get a reading.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

The PI anode ("plate") resistors are the two 100k resistors on pins 1 and 6 of the last 12AX7 (V2) before the two EL84s, labelled R18 and R19 on the standard Marshall 18W schematic. Carbon composition resistors are ideal used there, for maximum tone benefit and minimum hiss.
1 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

sruffinc

Post by sruffinc »

Seems like I solved the problem with oscillation on the V5 plate. Tightened up some things and discovered a dangling ground wire near the TMB input. The PI plates still register at around 200 and the grids at 34. Guess I can try some other tubes? Amp sounds nice. If those values are too low what would the result on the sound be?

Thanks,
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

sruffinc wrote:
Mon 06/15/20 1:37 pm
Seems like I solved the problem with oscillation on the V5 plate. Tightened up some things and discovered a dangling ground wire near the TMB input. The PI plates still register at around 200 and the grids at 34. Guess I can try some other tubes? Amp sounds nice. If those values are too low what would the result on the sound be?

Thanks,
If you think the amp sounds nice, and the oscillation is gone, enjoy it. And post a demo. ;)

Thanks,
Josh
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

sruffinc

Post by sruffinc »

Will do. Thanks for all the help!