Socketboards

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Socketboards

Post by crgfrench »

Here is an idea: suppose you have an 18 Watter in a normal 18W chassis. You want to modify it into a 36 watter by adding 2 extra output tubes and upgrading the trannies. BUT you don't want to drill 2 more holes in your 18W chassis. How about a pair of socketboards? Each one would have one set of noval male pins on the bottom to plug into the existing EL84 sockets, while on top, each board would have 2 noval sockets, appropriately connected by traces. And also a grid stopper for the extra tube. These would basically be an adapter between the existing socket and tube, with provision for the matching tube. Here is my design concept layout and a photo of a little prototype I made on a gift card. The real thing would be 63 mil FR4 board with 2oz copper pour and 50 mil traces. To get the extra tube's grid stopper inside the chassis and connected to the coupling cap, I'm using the empty pin 1 of the existing socket (i.e., pin 2 of the new extra tube connects into the circuit via Rx, the grid stopper, and on up through pin 1 of the original socket. Then add a hookup wire from pin 1 to the cap junction.) With a pair of socketboards you could run 4 EL84s. The socketboard is outside the chassis. Could make them for other output tubes as well (octals ...EL34, 6V6, etc). Is this ridiculous?
Socketboards.png
SocketboardProto.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Socketboards

Post by Bieworm »

20200329_001002.jpg
My 2 cts... good thinking Crg

I would buy a blank combo chassis. There's room enough for the extra tubes. I have one in my TMB tremolo als it's very spacious... In your design it would take some serious thinking about how to suspend the socketboards to make the amp roadworthy and reliable. The wiring would be finicky too.. maybe use a blank pedal housing which you can bolt onto the chassis? Just thinking...

If I were to build a 5E3 I would use that large a chassis too...I don't understand why people struggle with that mini chassis of the 5E3 standard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Why not just have a custom chassis made? It's not that big a deal. [REMOVED] does a great job, and generally charges less for the custom stuff than most retailers charge for the standard run of the mill stuff. If you can't design the chassis layout, you can probably ask him to make a standard 18watt chassis, with two extra holes for the extra EL84s. He makes faceplates too.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook Β· Instagram
Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Carey actually just gave me a very reasonable quote. Also Terry at Seaside in Canada gave me a good quote. As it turns out I'm getting the Ceriatone 36 Watt chassis. But along the way I just had this concept.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

crgfrench wrote: ↑
Tue 05/26/20 8:02 am
Carey actually just gave me a very reasonable quote. Also Terry at Seaside in Canada gave me a good quote. As it turns out I'm getting the Ceriatone 36 Watt chassis. But along the way I just had this concept.
I didn't know Ceriatone sold chassis separately. How much did they charge for it? I'm guessing you didn't want to wait for Carey to finish setting up his new shop? ;)

I've never heard of Terry. Do you have a link?
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I order my chassis in Germany. They are 16$ for blanks and 32$ for predrilled
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

The Chassis is $75 at Ceriatone. Look under kits and then add-on/parts. Seaside and Juicy both quoted $70. Seaside is https://seasidechassisdesign.com/ .
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Tue 05/26/20 11:06 am
The Chassis is $75 at Ceriatone. Look under kits and then add-on/parts. Seaside and Juicy both quoted $70. Seaside is https://seasidechassisdesign.com/ .
Wow that's expensive!! I'm way better off πŸ˜„
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Tue 05/26/20 11:06 am
Interesting. Seaside's photos look like the edges are rough/hand cut.

Ceriatone and Juicy are both using machines giving smooth edges. Though Juicy's chassis is thickest (15% thicker than Ceriatone), and he welds the corners. Not that the difference between 2mm or 2.3mm is that crazy.

I'm curious about shipping costs from the other two sources.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
Just sayin'
Screenshot_20200526-202019_Samsung Internet.jpg
5000$ and you have 500 pc chassis and faceplates.
0 x