opinions about reverb system

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

opinions about reverb system

Post by Bieworm »

hey 18 watters!
I was gathering info about the application of a reverb system for my 18 watt amps. Until just now I was thinking about the 1 tube reverb method, but I just stumbled on something very interesting... the lamington reverb unit (www.valveheaven.com)
It looks like a pretty easy system and pretty cheap to build too... check youtube https://youtu.be/HWlHYcYR6J0

I personally think it sounds awesome!!!

I am about to build an extension cab for my amps, and was thinking about building the reverb into the cab..sorta amp-looking eventually. So I can use the extension cab on any amp I choose to take with me to practice or gigs...

this is a raw idea, and I was wondering what you guys think of my plan? Needless to tell me an 18 watt don't need reverb.. to me it does! EVERY amp needs reverb and tremolo for me...
reverb extension cab.pdf
also a question about the transformer. Can I use a stepdown 240VAC to 12VAC transformer in reverse to step up from 12VAC to 240VAC ? is this a usable trannie? perhaps 2x instead ofthe 12v plugback?
240-12v tfo.png
15911910313657691067823738275122.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: opinions about reverb system

Post by Bieworm »

Bump
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote: ↑
Wed 06/03/20 10:15 pm
Bump
Yes, I saw this. I don't have time to look it over right now. I'm a little swamped. I'm guessing somebody else will chime in at some point...if you're patient. ;)
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook Β· Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote: ↑
Thu 06/04/20 12:49 pm
Bieworm wrote: ↑
Wed 06/03/20 10:15 pm
Bump
Yes, I saw this. I don't have time to look it over right now. I'm a little swamped. I'm guessing somebody else will chime in at some point...if you're patient. ;)
Don't worry. I have got time.. tomorrow will be fine too πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
No, seriously... I am just exploring my option. The extension cab with reverbtank seems pretty cool. I am just puzzled how to do the powertrannie. Don't think I will do the wallwart thing there.. 2 trannies 240P to 12S. But the heater voltage will be 12VAC and I'm not sure about that, even though it's designed that way...
It looks so simple that it's almost too good to be true.. hear the clip, it sounds really friggin' awesome!!! Almost as awesome as the EF86Xtra πŸ™ƒ
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

On the face of it if you are using just one twin triode a pair of those transformers should cope. But I have no experience of this type of power supply. I do know people have used wall transformers for the first half successfully for small amps.
Gitarre und Bass dated 02/11 has an article on building a Fender VTR63 reverb clone (in German of course). The power supply is two low power transformers back to back. If you can find that online you may be able to find more information. I built that clone from the diagrams but with a standard PT. It is a superb reverb using a low impedance spring tank. You will need a different one.

Dd
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Daviedawg wrote: ↑
Fri 06/05/20 2:10 am
On the face of it if you are using just one twin triode a pair of those transformers should cope. But I have no experience of this type of power supply. I do know people have used wall transformers for the first half successfully for small amps.
Gitarre und Bass dated 02/11 has an article on building a Fender VTR63 reverb clone (in German of course). The power supply is two low power transformers back to back. If you can find that online you may be able to find more information. I built that clone from the diagrams but with a standard PT. It is a superb reverb using a low impedance spring tank. You will need a different one.

Dd
thanx Dd

It looks to me I can use the 240-12VAC types in the original post here and put them back to back.
The connecting wires carry 12VAC in a closed circuit (secondary T1 to primary T2 + primary T2 to secondary T1) both connecting wires are separately tapped for heater voltage/current supply with a wire to ground between the preamp tube and the power tube. Is that 12VAC then correct? I don't see any problem with that, but I might be wrong... I am also worried about the 1A current supply that Valveheaven prescribes.. will that be sufficient for a 12AX7 and a 6BX6 at 12VAC ? Or is the voltage halved in this configuration? I'm pretty confused...
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

My uncertainty is why I ended up reverting to a standard power supply.

I did look back at the G+B article. They did not publish a BoM which would have given a spec. Instead they referred to Tubecraft, I think saying email there for the list of parts.

I will look on Wattkins.com because this format has been quite a lot there.

Dd
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Daviedawg wrote: ↑
Fri 06/05/20 3:24 pm
My uncertainty is why I ended up reverting to a standard power supply.

I did look back at the G+B article. They did not publish a BoM which would have given a spec. Instead they referred to Tubecraft, I think saying email there for the list of parts.

I will look on Wattkins.com because this format has been quite a lot there.

Dd
The frist reason I can think of is the 'feeling more comfortable ' doing it in a way I know...concerning the trannie. But for this application a normal powertrannie with 240V prim and 240V + 12V would costs a lot more money compared to 2 cheap 240-12V units. I can buy them for 10€ each. A real PT would be like 80 to 120€
I personally don't think the type of powertrannie has a lot of influence on the way it sounds, so . .. pretty confused here...
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

hey guys

I drew a layout for the lamington reverb. I made some changes towards the schematic (transformers,mains power,..) but do you think this wille be allright?
Lamington layout + BOM.xlsx
layout lamington reverb.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x