Type 3 PPIMV on standard 18watt with Tremolo

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

cjmize1@gmail.com
Unrated

Type 3 PPIMV on standard 18watt with Tremolo

Post by cjmize1@gmail.com »

Hey Guys!

Has anybody ever installed a Type 3 PPIMV on the standard 18watt Tremolo circuit, and if so, how did you like it? Can you get it Dirty at low volumes, or is there not enough Preamp Drive???
0 x

cjmize1@gmail.com
Unrated

Re: Type 3 PPIMV on standard 18watt with Tremolo

Anybody???
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Did you build one yet?
I build the TMB tremolo because of that. The classic isn't gonna drive on low volumes.. the TMB does it. I even added a pot on the voltage divider on V2, so now it's on dial
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4rlwdg0c64a9 ... 2.m4a?dl=0
Anyway... this will never be a bedroom amp without attenuator. Or you must have a bedroom the size of a small club loaded with people ;)

The TMB tremolo is best compared to a small superlead plexi, jimi in a combo... if you're into that , but hey... who isn't???
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

colossal

Post by colossal »

I don't really find the Type III Master to be all that useful on an 18W Lite or Classic design. With one preamp stage into the PI, I've scoped it and both the preamp and PI stay clean. The Volume control is effective at tracking the base tone of the amp down to really low levels, but not the distorted tone. The amp needs to be cranked for that. These amps are all about power tube distortion. You could use a boost or overdrive pedal on the front end and use the PPIMV to quiet down the back end (and the overall volume) but then you will be overdriving the preamp section, a sound you may or may not like and be after. A VVR or attenuator may be the best solution for getting the 18W distortion at lower volume. My preference is an attenuator.
1 x

colossal

Post by colossal »

Bieworm wrote: ↑
Mon 06/29/20 2:35 am
I build the TMB tremolo because of that. The classic isn't gonna drive on low volumes.. the TMB does it.
The TMB tremolo is best compared to a small superlead plexi, jimi in a combo... if you're into that, but hey... who isn't???
[
Sounds really good, man. I do hear the Jimi in the tone. It does sound like a Plexi. Is that a G12H speaker?
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

colossal wrote: ↑
Mon 06/29/20 3:50 pm
Mon 06/29/20 2:35 am
I build the TMB tremolo because of that. The classic isn't gonna drive on low volumes.. the TMB does it.
The TMB tremolo is best compared to a small superlead plexi, jimi in a combo... if you're into that, but hey... who isn't???
[
Sounds really good, man. I do hear the Jimi in the tone. It does sound like a Plexi. Is that a G12H speaker?
Yes, an old early 70s
It's the amp I always wanted...remember listening to jimi when you started playing the guutar? Clean and crunch on the same dial? My reference sound always was "hey baby".. I tried all amps that crossed me.. none delivered. It was back in the old JCM900days.. I hated that sound! The clean sucked bigtime, the crunch too compressed. Over the years I stopped looking and settled for less.. now the TMB tremolo finally got me there thanks to Josh πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
2 x

colossal

Post by colossal »

Mon 06/29/20 10:54 pm
Yes, an old early 70s
It's the amp I always wanted...remember listening to jimi when you started playing the guutar? Clean and crunch on the same dial? My reference sound always was "hey baby".. I tried all amps that crossed me.. none delivered. It was back in the old JCM900days.. I hated that sound! The clean sucked bigtime, the crunch too compressed. Over the years I stopped looking and settled for less
That's great you have found your sound. These 18W amps have no negative feedback, so that transition to overdrive is smooth and gradual. I love that and the sound/feel of cathode bias. These days, I too play much, much cleaner and like just a little natural hair on the note. I use the Volume and Tone knobs on the guitar for everything.

Is your G12H a 55Hz or 75Hz model?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

colossal wrote: ↑
Tue 06/30/20 7:16 am
Mon 06/29/20 10:54 pm
Yes, an old early 70s
It's the amp I always wanted...remember listening to jimi when you started playing the guutar? Clean and crunch on the same dial? My reference sound always was "hey baby".. I tried all amps that crossed me.. none delivered. It was back in the old JCM900days.. I hated that sound! The clean sucked bigtime, the crunch too compressed. Over the years I stopped looking and settled for less
That's great you have found your sound. These 18W amps have no negative feedback, so that transition to overdrive is smooth and gradual. I love that and the sound/feel of cathode bias. These days, I too play much, much cleaner and like just a little natural hair on the note. I use the Volume and Tone knobs on the guitar for everything.

Is your G12H a 55Hz or 75Hz model?
It's a 75Hz. I have the new anniversary G12H30 in my modern classic. That's a nice one too... but the old one is superb!!!
I hear you.. about them cathode biased amps being smoother in transition to OD. But the 18 watt is king IMHO. Had some voxes in the past, even an AC15 handwired series... but that didn't come close to the 18 watt.. but one thing I really liked about the vox: the raw switch!!! bypassing the tone controlls and boosting the signal to a state of... WOW!!!! but it was seldomly used due to the enormous leap in volume that was uncontrollable.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Tue 06/30/20 7:35 am
I hear you.. about them cathode biased amps being smoother in transition to OD. But the 18 watt is king IMHO.
He is talking about the 18 watt, which is cathode biased. ;)
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook Β· Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote: ↑
Tue 06/30/20 8:01 am
Tue 06/30/20 7:35 am
I hear you.. about them cathode biased amps being smoother in transition to OD. But the 18 watt is king IMHO.
He is talking about the 18 watt, which is cathode biased. ;)
I know.. just confirming what he wrote :)
1 x

cjmize1@gmail.com
Unrated

Thanks for the info guys!!! Much appreciated! Any thoughts on the Triode TMB vs Mojotone TMB?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

cjmize1@gmail.com wrote: ↑
Wed 07/01/20 7:12 pm
Thanks for the info guys!!! Much appreciated! Any thoughts on the Triode TMB vs Mojotone TMB?
The Mojotone TMB is terrible. I dunno about the Triode. The best TMBs are in our downloads section: viewforum.php?f=25
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook Β· Instagram
Items for Sale

colossal

Post by colossal »

I would not use either Triode or Mojo layouts (or kits). Use the tried and true layouts and schematics in the Downloads section on this site. The most important thing is good transformers, from the start. Don't be tempted to cut corners there, cost-wise.
1 x