Planning my build! 18W Tremelo TMB... With a Twist.

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Vin Morgan
Unrated

Planning my build! 18W Tremelo TMB... With a Twist.

Post by Vin Morgan »

Hi Everyone.

This is my first post round these parts, I've been reading a lot over the last few weeks on the forum regarding valve amp design/layouts and schematics.

A few years ago i found an EL84 powered stereo HiFi on the side of the road. Since then the cabinet has had the chassis and parts stripped out ready to be used in my first amp build.

Things are going well and i have a basic layout, cake tin chassis ready and all the valves minus 1x 12AX7.

I've tested the PT and it's working as expected with a 280-0-280 on the secondary winding with no bias tap available i'm looking at the 59 Marshall circuit for the bias from the main winding design.

I have been going over the JMPGuitars Tremolo TMB plans and plan to use this with some tweaks.

1. Use a EZ81 as the rectifier from the HiFi.
2. Use the 2x 5000/8 8w Output transformers in parallel each powered by one of the EL84s to 2x 8ohm Speakers to effectively make a stereo power amp section powered by the mono preamp section.

I would also like to use the 2x Power Trannies so that once the build is finished I can add a stereo effects loop with a bypass between the Preamp out and 2 Power Amp inputs.

Can someone please let me know the circuit changes on this would wire up (or if it's even possible)? I would love to use the original components available to me.

Appreciate the time looking over my rambling! Look forward to seeing where this project takes me.

Thanks,
Vin
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Planning my build! 18W Tremelo TMB... With a Twist.

Post by crgfrench »

Can you share your proposed layout and schematic? Sounds like a cool project.
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

"Stereo Roadkill"
0 x

Vin Morgan
Unrated

Post by Vin Morgan »

I like the sound of that!
crgfrench wrote:
Fri 07/03/20 10:50 am
"Stereo Roadkill"
I'll get back with this stuff soon! It's in my head and slowly coming together.

Enjoy the weekend friends :)
0 x