Combining Lite 2b and Superlite TMB?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Riffmonster

Combining Lite 2b and Superlite TMB?

Post by Riffmonster »

Hey guys,

did anyone ever successfully try to combine the Lite 2b and the Superlite TMB? I mean not building the 18 Watt TMB (I like the parallel V1 of the Lite 2b) but rather having already build a Lite 2b and then adding another tube (V1, everything else remains the same) for the Superlite TMB. Would it make sense to have the Cathode R and C switchable, as they are different in the Superlite TMB compared to the Lite 2b?

Thanks a lot!

Simon
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Re: Combining Lite 2b and Superlite TMB?

Post by geoff 1965 »

Ewald_18watt_layout_v0.9 (1).jpg
don't have a schematic for this but you could improvise with the forum downloads
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Riffmonster

Post by Riffmonster »

Thanks, Geoff! That looks interesting.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Don't go that route. You'd want to use the latest Superlite TMB version. The theory would be the same though.

Build the latest Superlite TMB as the second channel, and build the first channel as the Lite 2b. Each channel goes into its own side of the PI.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Riffmonster

Post by Riffmonster »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 07/04/20 7:58 am
Don't go that route. You'd want to use the latest Superlite TMB version. The theory would be the same though.

Build the latest Superlite TMB as the second channel, and build the first channel as the Lite 2b. Each channel goes into its own side of the PI.

Thanks,
Josh
Yes, that sounds like the way to go! Would switchable Cathode Bypass caps on the El 84 make sense though, or just stick with the Lite 2b caps?

Thanks and best

Simon
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Riffmonster wrote:
Sun 07/05/20 5:38 am
Yes, that sounds like the way to go! Would switchable Cathode Bypass caps on the El 84 make sense though, or just stick with the Lite 2b caps?

Thanks and best

Simon
I would stick with the power section from the latest Superlite TMB. That's essentially how I also make my Lite 2b power sections.

Basically drop the whole layout for the Superlite TMB onto a board, and add the Lite 2b to the right of it (assuming power transformer is to the left).

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Riffmonster

Post by Riffmonster »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 07/05/20 7:00 am
Riffmonster wrote:
Sun 07/05/20 5:38 am

Thanks and best

Simon
I would stick with the power section from the latest Superlite TMB. That's essentially how I also make my Lite 2b power sections.

Basically drop the whole layout for the Superlite TMB onto a board, and add the Lite 2b to the right of it (assuming power transformer is to the left).

Thanks,
Josh
That sounds good, thanks Josh! If I get the opportunity to build it, I will keep you posted.

Cheers
1 x