Total Noob question -- 6-way tone switch

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

David Garner
Unrated

Total Noob question -- 6-way tone switch

Post by David Garner »

Friends, long time listener, first time caller here. I have a Ceriatone 18 Watt with the EF86 channel. Mine is a bit of a weirdo, at least if the current specs are any indication, in that it has a normal "trem" channel (no TMB), an EF86 channel, and the 6-way capacitor switch on each channel. It has other features I could do without (MV, etc.) but I just don't use them.

My question is pretty simple -- I'd like to swap the 6-way tone switch for a regular tone pot. Are there any instructions out there for this change? I have zero technical knowledge, but I solder pretty good and have modded pedals and so forth. I can figure out how to discharge the caps and all that. But I have no idea at all which lugs to send which wires to and all that.

I've attached a pic below -- the tone cap in question is the 3rd pot from the right (the other two are speed and intensity for the trem). Thanks in advance.

0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Total Noob question -- 6-way tone switch

Post by crgfrench »

I would ask Nik at Ceriatone directly, he's a super helpful guy.
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Here is the layout
TMBEFceriatone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

You could put a 500k Log pot there instead of the switch. Same pot as the volume pot. Alpha Taiwan (or PEC if you want to spend more). Use whichever tone cap you like the sound of best, pick one of the ones from the switch and reuse it.
1 x

David Garner
Unrated

Post by David Garner »

Thanks! I'll send Nik a message. Appreciate the help.
1 x