Which kit for me, a newbie?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Which kit for me, a newbie?

Post by JMPGuitars »

crgfrench wrote:
Wed 08/12/20 8:58 am
Keep in mind, some chassis are designed for a particular transformer footprint. e.g. my current build is in a Ceriatone chassis but I used GDS trannies and needed to do some chassis modification to make it work. Also, chassis selection will depend on whether you want to build a head or a combo, and where you want the controls to be (top or front) if it's a combo.
adapter.png
You should make more of those and sell them. They could work well to adapt as you have, or also to reinforce thinner chassis. .09 wouldn't need it, but some .06 could certainly use reinforcement.
3 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

I was thinking of asking Nik at Ceriatone and Graydon at GDS if they might want some to offer their clients. It's a nice combo but it also requires slightly drilling the 4 corners of the PT cutout in the chassis too, so it's not a perfectly simple drop-in...

Also if anyone cares, this setup fits perfectly in a Weber M18 1x12 cabinet.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

crgfrench wrote:
Wed 08/12/20 11:09 am
I was thinking of asking Nik at Ceriatone and Graydon at GDS if they might want some to offer their clients. It's a nice combo but it also requires slightly drilling the 4 corners of the PT cutout in the chassis too, so it's not a perfectly simple drop-in...

Also if anyone cares, this setup fits perfectly in a Weber M18 1x12 cabinet.
You could always make them to order and list a few things in the marketplace here: viewforum.php?f=24
3 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

dr redplate
Unrated

Post by dr redplate »

Hi my advice would be to select a 18watt kit with a proven track record and the best documentation you can get. Then build the kit vanilla flavour and get it working properly. Then you could introduce mods to make it sound like a "bigger" vintage Marshall.
To get your more hot rod sounds use it as a pedal platform. I would use a graphic eq pedal with clean boost to push the front end into distortion. You can set the tonal response using the eq to get a more more appropriate response for higher gain applications.
You would need to include a post PI master volume to give you some gain stage control. EL 84 valves are easily pushed beyond saturation into grid blocking distortion and I would recommend the ability to dial this back.
Modulus 18watt kits use a dagnall mains trx and and a replica RS output transformer.
Ampmaker get transformers made by relatively small suppliers and choose the ones to supply based on listening tests.
Get an appropriate speaker as well. since I live in the UK i use celestions. A 12inch green back or a g12H work well. Try and avoid using a speaker with a huge power handling rating. 30 watts is about right
I have only used kits from Modulus and Ampmaker so can only comment on these

To get a true "Plexi" experience you need to stand in front of 8 G12H speakers driven by four EL34 valves at full throttle! an experience to be remembered :lol:
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I think Josh 's TMB tremolo gets pretty close to plexi territory. The hendrix vibe is definitely there...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4rlwdg0c64a9 ... 2.m4a?dl=0
Judge it for yourself...
The guitar is a jazzmaster . A les Paul is pure grind
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 08/14/20 8:32 am
Judge it for yourself...
Nice playing! What mic & interface did you record that with?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

crgfrench wrote:
Fri 08/14/20 10:18 am
Bieworm wrote:
Fri 08/14/20 8:32 am
Judge it for yourself...
Nice playing! What mic & interface did you record that with?
Lol!!! A samsung s10 smartphone 's voice recorder 😃
2 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"