Next Build

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

lavrgs
The MAN

Next Build

Post by lavrgs »

I am in the early stage of considering another 18 watt build.
  • As it turns out I like the tremolo circuit and the next build will incorporate the trem.
  • During moments of frustration with my "Slow Build" I bought a ValveStorm board kit which will be the basis for this build. I've heard some complaints about their design but haven't researched the "problems" - comments welcome...
  • I am open to layout suggestions that are optimized...
  • The power tranformer from Mojotone (heyboer ?) seemed to deliver too much voltage based on 125V source I am looking for a power transfrormer that has been "modernized" for current voltages
I'll keep my initial post kinda short but there is lots to figure out.
Thanks in advance
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Next Build

Post by Bieworm »

Tmb tremolo.. single channel.. lots of mojo. No doubt the best 18W for me. Going to build it in 36W variant.
The tmb tremolo is an 18 watt with mooooorrreeee drive
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

lavrgs
The MAN

Post by lavrgs »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 08/16/20 2:56 pm
Tmb tremolo.. single channel.. lots of mojo. No doubt the best 18W for me. Going to build it in 36W variant.
I didn't want to put a stake in the ground as part of the first post... but that is the way I'm LEANING
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

While I prefer the GDS heyboer over the mojo heyboer, they're all made to vintage spec, so they'll all basically do the same thing. I typically add a 5W Zener diode (voltage depends on placement, and your voltage readings) to drop the B+ and that puts everything where you want it.

I'm in the process of building a couple of the Tremolo TMBs. This might cause some minor tweaks to the docs, but you can tell Bieworm likes it. ;)

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

lavrgs wrote:
Sun 08/16/20 3:09 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Sun 08/16/20 2:56 pm
I didn't want to put a stake in the ground as part of the first post... but that is the way I'm LEANING
Believe me.. you won't regret. It's next level for me. That extra beyond the standard we're all familiar with... I fell deeply in love with mine. Play it all the time, and get amazed with awe every time
2 x

lavrgs
The MAN

Post by lavrgs »

Bieworm Did you build your own board for this project? Or are they available? I know Hoffman will make one to the specs...or I could do it. Is there a parts list? Which Transformers did you use?
0 x

lavrgs
The MAN

Post by lavrgs »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 08/16/20 3:24 pm
While I prefer the GDS heyboer over the mojo heyboer, they're all made to vintage spec, so they'll all basically do the same thing. I typically add a 5W Zener diode (voltage depends on placement, and your voltage readings) to drop the B+ and that puts everything where you want it.

I'm in the process of building a couple of the Tremolo TMBs. This might cause some minor tweaks to the docs, but you can tell Bieworm likes it. ;)

Thanks,
Josh
Thanks Josh I'm probably not going to start the build until the dark days of Fall set in. I'll keep an eye out for any updates.
I could not find a website for GDS - is it down? When I go to http://gdsamps.com/ I end up at some online Pharmacy EDIT>>Clearing cache fixed the problem
Last edited by lavrgs on Sun 08/16/20 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

lavrgs wrote:
Sun 08/16/20 4:32 pm
Bieworm Did you build your own board for this project? Or are they available? I know Hoffman will make one to the specs...or I could do it. Is there a parts list? Which Transformers did you use?
Josh is the brain behind this. I built it on z standard 7x30 turret board. Fits snug, but doable though...

I put in a hammond OT and a German power tranny from tube town. I think I have a parts list somewhere, but I will look into that and hand it over. But it's more fun to gather the parts yourself.. deriving them from the schematic. That way the amp can start to grow onto you before building it.
Last edited by Bieworm on Sun 08/16/20 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

lavrgs
The MAN

Post by lavrgs »

Josh is the brain behind this. I built it on z standard 7x30 turret board. Fits snug, but doable though...
Ahhh OK I am not familiar with those. I was about to go program the milling machine...much easier your way!!!
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I have an OD dial because it did have OD from zero on the volume pot. But I ended up using it with the OD pot full throttle all the time.. so it's kinda obsolete. But there is vlean when needed...
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

You won't go wrong with a Hoffman turretboard, they are awesome and so is Doug.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

My layout docs are drawn 1:1 scale. You can print it out yourself, or send it to Hoffman to make a board. If you have tools/skills, do it yourself. It's more satisfying.

In the future I might make kits for this, but I haven't decided on that.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

lavrgs
The MAN

Post by lavrgs »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 08/16/20 7:42 pm
In the future I might make kits for this, but I haven't decided on that.

Thanks,
Josh
I find that when I buy parts it's usually ea$ier to buy resistors and some caps 10 at a time but when you only plan to build one amp you end up with a bunch of extra parts... I'm just starting to make a parts list and will check it against what I have - hopefully I will have some parts from prior builds and only need to get the parts I don't have. My problem with hobbies is that I end up with so much extra sh*t...9-)
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

lavrgs wrote:
Sun 08/16/20 8:44 pm
I find that when I buy parts it's usually ea$ier to buy resistors and some caps 10 at a time but when you only plan to build one amp you end up with a bunch of extra parts... I'm just starting to make a parts list and will check it against what I have - hopefully I will have some parts from prior builds and only need to get the parts I don't have. My problem with hobbies is that I end up with so much extra sh*t...9-)
Most of the components across these amps are the same or very similar. There's only some small variations. I would buy yourself a Plastic Parts Storage Cabinet (I use Akro-Mils 10126 for my smaller sets, 10164 for bigger, etc...). Stock up on good CMF resistors.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

lavrgs
The MAN

Post by lavrgs »

I've spent some time sourcing parts and planning/scheming I have a couple of general questions.
  • Has anyone developed a front faceplate? I made a custom panel set for my 5E3 build but I'm not sure I want to spend the bux again >>>$150. As an FYI the panels were $70 and the rest was setup and shipping.
  • Can someone explain the 2200uF cap? - it's much higher than most I've seen - what does it get ya?
  • what chassis are people using? My plan is to buy a blank Mojotone chassis and machine it...that way it will fit in the combo cab I have...but I'm also leaning toward building the amp as a head
  • My normal sources don't have 53K resistors... I have 51K and will assume it's "close enough"
  • the WIMA caps are available at mouser but since they are not my go to supplier I would end up paying extra shipping charges... is there a substitute?
  • Sourmash is the current winner for the head cab...should I consider others?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

lavrgs wrote:
Wed 08/19/20 12:59 pm
I've spent some time sourcing parts and planning/scheming I have a couple of general questions.
  • Has anyone developed a front faceplate? I made a custom panel set for my 5E3 build but I'm not sure I want to spend the bux again >>>$150. As an FYI the panels were $70 and the rest was setup and shipping.
  • Can someone explain the 2200uF cap? - it's much higher than most I've seen - what does it get ya?
  • what chassis are people using? My plan is to buy a blank Mojotone chassis and machine it...that way it will fit in the combo cab I have...but I'm also leaning toward building the amp as a head
  • My normal sources don't have 53K resistors... I have 51K and will assume it's "close enough"
  • the WIMA caps are available at mouser but since they are not my go to supplier I would end up paying extra shipping charges... is there a substitute?
  • Sourmash is the current winner for the head cab...should I consider others?
Ouch. Don't waste your money. Talk to [REMOVED] for faceplates and chassis. He can laser/cut them all. That's who makes my stuff for me now. It sounds like you know how to design what you need, and he doesn't charge BS setup fees. Shipping is also reasonable. But I might design a DIY/18Watt.com version of the faceplates and chassis for him to sell as a set...or eventually stock them myself for sale if I make kits. I emailed him about doing that, I'll let you know what he says. I can get the designs to him fairly quickly to produce.

What build are you doing? It sounds like you're doing my Tremolo TMB, but I'm not familiar with a 53K resistor. What resistor are you referring to?

The 2200µF cap tightens up the low end, and reduces noise...also makes the amp play closer to fixed bias while still remaining cathode bias.

It doesn't matter what brand of film caps you use there. Get something around 250V .01µF caps, and you'll be fine.

The thing I like most from Mojo is their cabs. I haven't heard anybody complain about Sourmash for cabs either.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

There are some 56k...
1 x

lavrgs
The MAN

Post by lavrgs »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Wed 08/19/20 3:04 pm
It sounds like you know how to design what you need, and he doesn't charge BS setup fees. Shipping is also reasonable. But I might design a DIY/18Watt.com version of the faceplates and chassis for him to sell as a set...or eventually stock them myself for sale if I make kits. I emailed him about doing that, I'll let you know what he says. I can get the designs to him fairly quickly to produce. The Mojo chassis costs 45 so it seems reasonable

What build are you doing? It sounds like you're doing my Tremolo TMB, YES
but I'm not familiar with a 53K resistor. What resistor are you referring to?

The 2200µF cap tightens up the low end, and reduces noise...also makes the amp play closer to fixed bias while still remaining cathode bias.

It doesn't matter what brand of film caps you use there. Get something around 250V .01µF caps, and you'll be fine.

The thing I like most from Mojo is their cabs. I haven't heard anybody complain about Sourmash for cabs either.

Thanks,
Josh
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

lavrgs wrote:
Wed 08/19/20 7:26 pm
Capture.JPG
Yes, that's 56K, not 53K. 56K is a fairly standard value. The part number I use is CMF6056K200FHEK (56.2K).

BTW- I heard back from Carey. It looks like we're going to work out a chassis + panel set for this, and possibly other projects too.

Thanks,
Josh
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

lavrgs
The MAN

Post by lavrgs »

Yes, that's 56K, not 53K. 56K is a fairly standard value.
Not sure what I was thinkin'
BTW- I heard back from Carey. It looks like we're going to work out a chassis + panel set for this, and possibly other projects too.
Let me know what happens.
0 x