planning 36 watt build

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: planning 36 watt build

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Wed 08/26/20 3:20 pm
Fwiw.. they are muuuuch cleaner finished than the hammonds. The hammonds are painted all over the wires which makes it hard to determine the color of those individual wires. The tube towns are very nicely constructed and the shells are painted hammerfinish. And they are made in Europe. I'm satisfied so far...
I'm sure we're all looking forward to hearing their OT. ;)

If you're making a 36W version, and you want EL34s, you could combine the power amp from my 36W Superlite TMB with the preamp section of the Tremolo TMB. (I might make the docs for that version eventually)
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Josh

I did some copy paste with both the schematics from the 18W tremolo TMB and the 36W superlite TMB.
Is there something you think is not right?
I also think about adding reverb. I drew the injection points at the effects loop. Is that ok?
I also need to add a 12AX7 and a 6BX6 to the circuit. The 12AX7 needs 160V to the plate and the 6BX6 needs 210V. Is it all right to feed it from node D (B+ line)? Or should I take it from node C and bring the voltage down with a resistor? Heaters will be connected to the heater chain.
I am also not sure about the ground reference point of the cathode RC of the 6BX6. It is the reverb driver tube. I'm confused wether it should be grounded to the power section ground or preamp ground. I want to avoid them nasty ground loops... My gut says preamp though...
36W tremolo TMB schematic (reverb).png
Lamington layout + BOM.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 08/28/20 5:30 am
I did some copy paste with both the schematics from the 18W tremolo TMB and the 36W superlite TMB.
Well, the PT still says 18W. ;)

The resistor between C and D will probably need to be between 4.7K to 8.2K, you'll need to test your voltages, but I'd start at 8.2K (not 27K).

You cut off part of V5.

I'm not going to assume anything about your reverb insertion points, but they might be fine that way.

I don't know how you're building your reverb circuit, but I wouldn't bother with the version in your doc. If you're building it into the same chassis, you should be able to get it to work with the same heater chain/B+ rail as the amp's circuit. That might take some experimenting and thought, but you can probably figure it out. Just follow the rules.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

15986374518417873935774271846806.jpg
JMPGuitars wrote:
Fri 08/28/20 7:28 am
Bieworm wrote:
Fri 08/28/20 5:30 am
Well, the PT still says 18W. ;)

The resistor between C and D will probably need to be between 4.7K to 8.2K, you'll need to test your voltages, but I'd start at 8.2K (not 27K).

You cut off part of V5.

I'm not going to assume anything about your reverb insertion points, but they might be fine that way.

I don't know how you're building your reverb circuit, but I wouldn't bother with the version in your doc. If you're building it into the same chassis, you should be able to get it to work with the same heater chain/B+ rail as the amp's circuit. That might take some experimenting and thought, but you can probably figure it out. Just follow the rules.
You're right. But it was a quick mash up during my lunch break...
The values that I have in the preamp of my tremolo TMB are the ones I will start with. The resistor between C and D is 5k6 in mine. I have another value of RC on V2 too due to me liking that a little more... actually, I have both values, but switchable.
I decided to go for the EL34 poweramp too. That offers me some room for the 2 extra tubes for the verb. Although... I have a Marble Clubreverb which seems to have some kind of 1 tube reverb that I really adore. I might dig into that one a little deeper. Unfortunately there is absolutely no schematic of that amp to be found anywhere. The builder keeps it a secret... the chassis is very crowded so I have to be very careful on determining the circuit. But it's a nice challenge...
15986375001106969281029565610048.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

This is what I can make of the reverb wiring inside the Marble:
Do you see anything missing or strange?
15986417501523914851198946465295.jpg
0 x

colossal

Post by colossal »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 08/28/20 2:09 pm
This is what I can make of the reverb wiring...Do you see anything missing or strange?
The grid leak on the recovery stage is most likely 220k, not 220R
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

colossal wrote:
Sat 08/29/20 9:17 am
Bieworm wrote:
Fri 08/28/20 2:09 pm
This is what I can make of the reverb wiring...Do you see anything missing or strange?
The grid leak on the recovery stage is most likely 220k, not 220R
That's indeed a typo..uh..a write-o 😃
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I just looked at your reverb drawing. That's also a modified version of the same popular 1 tube reverb that I based mine on. Mine is still better. ;)
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Wed 10/07/20 2:21 pm
I just looked at your reverb drawing. That's also a modified version of the same popular 1 tube reverb that I based mine on. Mine is still better. ;)
We'll see about that😄😋
1 x