AWG wire recommendations needed

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Skydog6653

AWG wire recommendations needed

Post by Skydog6653 »

I have an 18W built from a kit (not by me) and the wiring is a mess. There is an extensive thread dealing with the troubles I've had with this amp. Others suggested I clean up the wiring by color coding it more and going to a heavier gauge. I would like to use some different colors based on application, but mostly I would like to go to a larger gauge to help neaten it up somewhat. As you can see, virtually all existing wire is smaller gauge and white. Any recommendations are appreciated.
D57BBB45-23A8-4190-AA29-BC93267B4D3D.jpeg
D57BBB45-23A8-4190-AA29-BC93267B4D3D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: AWG wire recommendations needed

Post by JMPGuitars »

I can't tell what wire gauge that is by looking at it. Different types of wire insulation can be deceiving.

I typically use 20AWG pre-tinned/bonded stranded wire for most things amp related, but 18AWG for the mains/Power Switches/PT connection. 22AWG is also good for most stuff in an amp.

What's more important is to make sure that the wire you're using is rated for higher voltage than whatever is needed. Most of the wire I use is rated for 600V.

All that aside, that is a SLOPPY build. The wiring is terrible, as is the soldering. If you're going to rewire it, all the turrets should be desoldered and cleaned first before resoldering anything.

I don't know what your skill level is, but I suggest reading the soldering and ground scheme threads linked in my signature.

Side note: going too high in gauge isn't a good thing either. That introduces other potential problems.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

colossal

Post by colossal »

Honestly?

I would gut it. Start with fresh parts, a fresh board, and a clean slate. Life is too short for bad amps and tone.
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Man that amp is a conundrum -- I have a hard time believing Bob Detorre/DST originally built that, due to their reputation. That said if it was built by them it's not a good reflection on their work. I don't know them.
If you're swapping all the wires I would replace the CC resistors with CMF60s while I was in there.
0 x

Skydog6653

Post by Skydog6653 »

I want to clear up the fact that the cabinet is by Jeff Swanson, the chassis is a kit someone put together. Rob Detorre had nothing to do with it.
D051E61E-1F8A-4629-B3F4-63FF02D53BBF.jpeg
E23F5D3E-3416-45E4-8D48-35146E374E9F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

colossal

Post by colossal »

Clearly Jeff's work on the cabinet. That dude does very high quality work.
1 x