6V6 Plexi with Crossover Distortion [Problem Solved]

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Re: 6V6 Plexi with Crossover Distortion [Problem Solved]

Post by geoff 1965 »

Marshall put components into the top of the turret in their point to point amplifiers,I do the same and have no problems.you get a better mechanical connection wrapping around the turret but if you’re like me and constantly tweaking/experimenting it’s a lot easier to swap in and out fed into the top. “different horses for different courses”
1 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Just to be clear, I wasn't criticizing Dan's work. These components are lightweight and the turrets don't move (unlike tube pins). I'm not sure robust mechanical bonding is required. On the other hand, I appreciate it when someone like Josh promotes a professional standard of workmanship, even if (sometimes) only for its own sake. That's the sort of thinking that keeps us out of trouble. I'll decide over the next few days how to proceed with this.

Jack
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Wed 01/27/21 9:56 pm
dbharris wrote:
Wed 01/27/21 8:19 pm
My next build is with an eyelet board.
Help me out here. I don't see a difference between soldering a lead down into the hole at the top of a turret or into the hole in an eyelet.

Jack
Some people think eyelets are easier to work with because there's less mass to heat. You can make a mechanical connection with a better bending angle in an eyelet than you can at the top of a turret, but you're right, it's not much different.

There's nothing wrong with using the top of the turret, it's simply not the preferred way, and either way, it needs to be done with good technique.
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

dbharris

Post by dbharris »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Thu 01/28/21 8:07 am
TriodeLuvr wrote:
Wed 01/27/21 9:56 pm
dbharris wrote:
Wed 01/27/21 8:19 pm
My next build is with an eyelet board.
Help me out here. I don't see a difference between soldering a lead down into the hole at the top of a turret or into the hole in an eyelet.

Jack
Some people think eyelets are easier to work with because there's less mass to heat. You can make a mechanical connection with a better bending angle in an eyelet than you can at the top of a turret, but you're right, it's not much different.

There's nothing wrong with using the top of the turret, it's simply not the preferred way, and either way, it needs to be done with good technique.
Jack, I was not offended by your comment/question in any way. Always good to hear other point of view.

Josh, that's my understanding too for using eyelets. I am using that type of board because it is a two-rock/dumble style build and that is tradition for that lineage of amps. It's going to be a 100W clean machine with 3 tube reverb (clone of John Mayer's old signature amp with only 25 made)...maybe I'll post here in the appropriate forum but not sure if there is much interest in that type of amp on this board.

-Dan
1 x