18W EF86 pre build

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

BlueBoozer
Unrated

18W EF86 pre build

Post by BlueBoozer »

After getting frustrated and fed up with the unruly Mojotone 18W kit I built at the beginning of the year and was elated with, I’m beginning to see it’s flaws and downfalls. The feelings just aren’t there anymore, I’m ready for a divorce.

Now that I have a few builds under my belt, I think I’m going to gut it and build an 18W EF86 TMB based on the Ceriatone layout. EF86, 3 x 12AX7 and two EL84 and I was thinking of replacing the EZ81 with a GZ34, but after reading some of the threads here I might keep the EZ81 and just add a SS switch.

Any thoughts or experience with this build? It has a tone step switch on the normal channel. Looks interesting.

I figure if anybody has done something like this I’d appreciate your input

Thanks

“May your picks be plenty, and your glass always full”
0 x
Diggin' the blues... drinkin' some booze

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: 18W EF86 pre build

Post by Bieworm »

BlueBoozer wrote:
Tue 12/01/20 12:12 am
After getting frustrated and fed up with the unruly Mojotone 18W kit I built at the beginning of the year and was elated with, I’m beginning to see it’s flaws and downfalls. The feelings just aren’t there anymore, I’m ready for a divorce.

Now that I have a few builds under my belt, I think I’m going to gut it and build an 18W EF86 TMB based on the Ceriatone layout. EF86, 3 x 12AX7 and two EL84 and I was thinking of replacing the EZ81 with a GZ34, but after reading some of the threads here I might keep the EZ81 and just add a SS switch.

Any thoughts or experience with this build? It has a tone step switch on the normal channel. Looks interesting.

I figure if anybody has done something like this I’d appreciate your input

Thanks

“May your picks be plenty, and your glass always full”
There are EF86 building the download section. Josh’s EF86 Xtra for instance.
The rectifier issue... I'd recommend building a full wave bridge rectifier and a switchable 100R 10W resistor in series. Saves hassle, space and money. The overall effect would be very similar. The 100R resistor will provide the same sag that the EZ81 will ..
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"