First Amp Build Question

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JP77
Unrated

First Amp Build Question

Post by JP77 »

I'm doing a lot of research in preparation for my kit to arrive. It's still some time out. A friend recommended the kit and I found other forums recommended it. After finding this forum, it seems the kit I ordered is not loved here (mojotone TMB head). You guys seem to be the experts in this platform so I wanted to ask. Is it bad enough that I should cancel the order and get it somewhere else? I've a technical background but other than guitar wiring this will be my first foray into building electronics. I know it will be a challenge whichever way I go (which is what I'm looking for).
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: First Amp Build Question

Post by JMPGuitars »

JP77 wrote:
Sat 01/09/21 10:16 pm
I'm doing a lot of research in preparation for my kit to arrive. It's still some time out. A friend recommended the kit and I found other forums recommended it. After finding this forum, it seems the kit I ordered is not loved here (mojotone TMB head). You guys seem to be the experts in this platform so I wanted to ask. Is it bad enough that I should cancel the order and get it somewhere else? I've a technical background but other than guitar wiring this will be my first foray into building electronics. I know it will be a challenge whichever way I go (which is what I'm looking for).
Yes, for your own sake, please cancel the order. Mojotone has some great parts and cabinets available, but their kit is a nightmare. If you search for mojotone on this site, you will see a plethora of issues people have with it.

GDSAmps, Trinity, ValveStorm, are all good kits. Or you can look in our downloads section at different projects, and source the parts yourself. While you're at it, read the linked threads in my signature and be more prepared for your first build.

Welcome to the site!

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

JP77
Unrated

Post by JP77 »

Okay. I sent a request to cancel. I've been researching tonight and I'm leaning towards the Trinity TMB. Are there any known sub-par components (other than the resistors) in the kit that should be upgraded?
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

I mean, the Mojo ones aren't a complete disaster. Excellent parts quality. I would go with a Mojo kit before anything from Valvestorm, that's for sure. I've seen errors in their documentation too. Trinity would be my first choice if I wanted a kit.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

crgfrench wrote:
Sun 01/10/21 1:24 pm
I mean, the Mojo ones aren't a complete disaster. Excellent parts quality. I would go with a Mojo kit before anything from Valvestorm, that's for sure. I've seen errors in their documentation too. Trinity would be my first choice if I wanted a kit.
ValveStorm is better/more accurate documentation than Mojo, even if it has errors. If you see errors in his latest docs, you should email him, he'll fix them. Mojo won't. The Mojo layout is absolute trash, even if it had zero errors, it's not worth it...and there's usually errors anyway.

For a side comparison about the two companies, Mojo refuses to support this site even though we wind up doing a ton of troubleshooting and support for them for free. ValveStorm on the other hand, has offered to help sourcing new faceplates and chassis for me after seeing on here that I was having supply issues. That's an attitude/small business worth supporting.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

They have an excellent selection of nice looking cabinets. I just wish they were a little more affordable.

Jack
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Sun 01/10/21 1:56 pm
They have an excellent selection of nice looking cabinets. I just wish they were a little more affordable.

Jack
Mojotone? Yes, I like and use their cabinets. They're good quality, and look nice. If you compare their prices to most, they're fairly average, not really high. The only way I've seen anything decent for less is if it's bare cabinets, and you have to finish or cover them yourself...the end result costing almost as much for probably lesser quality in the end.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Mojo just finished this custom “fat” 5E3 cabinet for my Volcano.
DF47FBF5-5C00-42D9-9B85-440A4C019E27.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

crgfrench wrote:
Sun 01/10/21 8:43 pm
Mojo just finished this custom “fat” 5E3 cabinet for my Volcano.
Nice!
0 x

JP77
Unrated

Post by JP77 »

Do any of the kit vendors do a better job explaining WHAT you're doing and how things work rather than just a "Tab A into Slot A" approach? Or is that just a personal research type of thing. I want to learn how these things work rather than just have a functioning amp when I'm done. I wish there were a few sample pages of GDS' manual so I could see what that was like. I've read through Mojotone's and it was basically an assembly guide. Trinity's does a little better with teaching the components and installation guidance but not much with the bigger picture (haven't finished reading it yet so that may come later). Valvestorm say they don't have a guide at all.
0 x

lavrgs
The MAN

Post by lavrgs »

I can understand that having instructions for a first build is very important. I built an Allen Accomplice, followed the instruction, turned it on and have played it for four years...However the only thing I learned was that I could follow instructions. I built a Mojotone 18W next and with the help of this group got past the rough spots - I guess I can understand some light negative feelings toward them but there are some very nice aspects to their kits; components, including transformers their combo cab is very nice and the speaker is ok...The instructions from StewMac would have been helpful but I didn't find them in time.
Review the site for the build order and formulate your plan accordingly e.g. there are some things that need to be done first and some thing need to be done last and everything in the middle ... organisation is your friend...so is reading...and asking questions...andandand
Good Building (Luck)
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

JP77 wrote:
Mon 01/11/21 12:38 pm
Do any of the kit vendors do a better job explaining WHAT you're doing and how things work rather than just a "Tab A into Slot A" approach? Or is that just a personal research type of thing. I want to learn how these things work rather than just have a functioning amp when I'm done. I wish there were a few sample pages of GDS' manual so I could see what that was like. I've read through Mojotone's and it was basically an assembly guide. Trinity's does a little better with teaching the components and installation guidance but not much with the bigger picture (haven't finished reading it yet so that may come later). Valvestorm say they don't have a guide at all.
No. I'm eventually going to release a kit of the Tremolo TMB circuit, and I will include a build guide with that. I will go into more detail in general than most kits do, but I'll probably leave a lot of information in the form of links for those that want it.

Really you should spend time studying this site, Randall Aiken's site, and ValveWizard. You can learn a LOT from these sources.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

the Trinity build guide is one of the best for explaining how things work as well as instructions so take your time and read through it. another good source is the forums archives,just click on “forums” then “18 watt technical discussion” and type whatever subject of interest in the “search” box and there’s a mine of information in there.
you can make some safety items yourself like a “current bulb limiter” and “capacitor discharger” etc for when you get to the testing stage.
take your time and if you keep posting your progress with some good pics and people can point you in the right direction.
last but not least! I was a coded welder for over 30 years and on all the engineering drawings we worked from typed in bold lettering was “IF IN DOUBT ASK”,same applies here,if you are unsure of anything just ask.
be safe and good luck with your build
1 x

JP77
Unrated

Post by JP77 »

I think I'll go off the deep end then and just build from scratch. Seems like I'll learn the most that way. Count on some questions.

Thanks for the input so far. I appreciate it.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

JP77 wrote:
Mon 01/11/21 9:24 pm
I think I'll go off the deep end then and just build from scratch. Seems like I'll learn the most that way. Count on some questions.

Thanks for the input so far. I appreciate it.
Great choice! Take a look through our downloads section and choose from there: viewforum.php?f=25

Ask questions before starting or making a final choice so we can give you feedback.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Tremolo TMB reverb!! You want it!! It has everything a man will ever need.
I have 2 of them.. one with and one without reverb.
😁😁
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JP77
Unrated

Post by JP77 »

Bieworm wrote:
Mon 01/11/21 11:15 pm
Tremolo TMB reverb!! You want it!! It has everything a man will ever need.
I have 2 of them.. one with and one without reverb.
😁😁
It's also the only one I can see labeled "advanced." Hmmm... someone's trying to haze the new guy.
1 x

JP77
Unrated

Post by JP77 »

I've looked through all the TMB versions. I'm looking to keep the first channel clean(er) and I want more grind in the TMB channel. Will one of these do that better than the others? It looks like there are some tweaks I can employ and I'm sure no matter what version I pick it will be tweakable. Is there one though that would be a better platform to begin with?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

JP77 wrote:
Tue 01/12/21 12:42 am
I've looked through all the TMB versions. I'm looking to keep the first channel clean(er) and I want more grind in the TMB channel. Will one of these do that better than the others? It looks like there are some tweaks I can employ and I'm sure no matter what version I pick it will be tweakable. Is there one though that would be a better platform to begin with?
The Trem TMB Reverb is an advanced build. Without the reverb it isn't quite as hard.

If you want a two channel amp: I have not made a Modern Classic TMB version, so take a look at the Modern Classic series for grounding schemes, and for value changes for the 1st channel.

If you want a single channel TMB that's easier than the Tremolo TMB, then look at the newest version of the Superlite TMB. It's a great amp.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

JP77
Unrated

Post by JP77 »

I'm seeing rectifier circuit on some of the diagrams vs a tube. Is there a benefit there other than cost?
0 x