Preamp plate voltages in SUPERLITE TMB

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

ViperDoc
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Preamp plate voltages in SUPERLITE TMB

Post by ViperDoc »

I'm going to build a Superlite TMB using the docs on this site. I noticed the preamp plate voltages on V1 are taken down to 135/105 VDC. Is 135 VDC relatively high or low for an 18-watt design? I'd like to target a cleaner, higher headroom design if I can. Also, is the PI capable of enough tone stack recovery for a clean amp, or would a Tremolo TMB with an additional gain stage be better? Does this make any sense?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Preamp plate voltages in SUPERLITE TMB

Post by JMPGuitars »

ViperDoc wrote: ↑
Mon 01/11/21 1:02 pm
I'm going to build a Superlite TMB using the docs on this site. I noticed the preamp plate voltages on V1 are taken down to 135/105 VDC. Is 135 VDC relatively high or low for an 18-watt design? I'd like to target a cleaner, higher headroom design if I can. Also, is the PI capable of enough tone stack recovery for a clean amp, or would a Tremolo TMB with an additional gain stage be better? Does this make any sense?
Either one of those circuits run clean or dirty depending on what you dial in. The Tremolo TMB is a harder build, I wouldn't build it unless you actually want tremolo.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook Β· Instagram
Items for Sale

ViperDoc
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ViperDoc »

Would it be bad form to build one with variable resistance on the preamp plates? I'm imagining trimmer resistors, or a parallel variable/fixed pair.

The two Princeton Reverbs I've built have sensational sounding tremolo on them. I've never built the circuit employed on the Trem TMB, but it looks like it has a more local preamp bias-vary circuit than the Bias tremolo of the PR. The trem effect sounds really nice and deep on your TMB Trem videos. I'll get to one some day. This amp I'm going to put in a Metro Loop instead.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

On my first 18W build I was worried about the amp ending up clean enough too. Only to find out that the one that is clean enough (modern classic) is too clean. Well, I have 2 tremolo TMB amps.. one with and one without reverb.. so I have this covered. But the point of this 18W is the wonderful OD. The modern classic has to be turned up a lot to leave clean area.. but when it does, WOW!!!
As for bias vary trem .. it should not be too hard to wobble the signal at the output tubes, if that's your worry. But hey, the preamp bias vary is tremendous!!!
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

ViperDoc
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ViperDoc »

I'm looking forward to the Superlite build, I've never had a build with only 2 preamp tubes. These amps handle pedals extremely well, so I plan to run a Kingsley OD/Boost in front for some extra push when needed and keep it "Clean up to 7-8" for the amp tone.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Dude... an 18 watt will never keep clean until 7 or 8. My modern classic starts to break up around 4-5.. but that's loud!!!
But the OD on the 18W is thΓ‘t good.. anything you put in front of it will sound generic. With a pedal you loose touch sensitivity to a huge amount. I have pedals that are very good in front of my f@nders.. and good in front of the 18 watters... but once you have experienced the 18W OD those pedals won't cut it anymore because you now know how good it can get with the volume up on the amp. My OD pedal life was ruined the minute I dimed an 18 watt!!! Now I only want thΓ‘t sound πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
The tremolo TMB is even more of that oozing drive. Josh managed to capture a preamp overdrive that's worthy of being compared to powertube OD with this amp!!! My pedal board now contains only a boss digital tuner and an RE20..and a fulldrive2 when I'm in the mood for madness. 😁😁😁
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

ViperDoc
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ViperDoc »

Bieworm wrote: ↑
Mon 01/11/21 10:54 pm
Dude... an 18 watt will never keep clean until 7 or 8. My modern classic starts to break up around 4-5.. but that's loud!!!
But the OD on the 18W is thΓ‘t good.. anything you put in front of it will sound generic. With a pedal you loose touch sensitivity to a huge amount. I have pedals that are very good in front of my f@nders.. and good in front of the 18 watters... but once you have experienced the 18W OD those pedals won't cut it anymore because you now know how good it can get with the volume up on the amp. My OD pedal life was ruined the minute I dimed an 18 watt!!! Now I only want thΓ‘t sound πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
The tremolo TMB is even more of that oozing drive. Josh managed to capture a preamp overdrive that's worthy of being compared to powertube OD with this amp!!! My pedal board now contains only a boss digital tuner and an RE20..and a fulldrive2 when I'm in the mood for madness. 😁😁😁
I failed to clarify, I meant "7-8" on the guitar volume control to leave room for onboard goose-age, and then punch the input for a more compressed "overdrive channel" with the Kingsley--a tube OD with some seriously good tone. Yeah, the onboard drive I'm sure sounds good, I can tame it with the guitar as well and flick it when I want full juice. I like options. 8)
2 x