Can I use 60watts speakers with 18W British Amp

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Can I use 60watts speakers with 18W British Amp

Post by JMPGuitars »

davemojo wrote:
Wed 01/20/21 5:19 pm
Great

I am going to buy the G12L UK version new 120 Euros for the 16 Ohm version or 136 Euros for the 8 Ohm version I will buy one now and another later like this I'm sure I can't go wrong, of course I must now see how it sounds with the organ, but yes quality, those from tonefactory nl are from UK so should be a good quality
Food for thought: you're likely to need to experiment with speakers. You might get lucky with a purchase like this, but you might not. I would look at alternative brands, not just Celestion. I prefer Eminence or WGS or many others over Celestion. Celestion is charging for a name, not so much speaker quality. Be patient and keep an eye on the used market too.
3 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I don't think there is a huge difference between the chinese and uk celestions.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Wed 01/20/21 7:02 pm
davemojo wrote:
Wed 01/20/21 5:19 pm
Great

I am going to buy the G12L UK version new 120 Euros for the 16 Ohm version or 136 Euros for the 8 Ohm version I will buy one now and another later like this I'm sure I can't go wrong, of course I must now see how it sounds with the organ, but yes quality, those from tonefactory nl are from UK so should be a good quality
Food for thought: you're likely to need to experiment with speakers. You might get lucky with a purchase like this, but you might not. I would look at alternative brands, not just Celestion. I prefer Eminence or WGS or many others over Celestion. Celestion is charging for a name, not so much speaker quality. Be patient and keep an eye on the used market too.
I admit I am now starting to get confuse, I opened this forum query to clarify my doubts, and indeed all is much more clear than before, but again the choice is now difficult since it all depends and there is no one straight answer.

Some are saying Celestion is way to go, probably if you are a guitarist and depending on the music style.

Some other saying Chinese or UK Celestion are the same, probably are since as for many other things I found often time Chinese stuff to be good in quality.

I will also look at other brands to see what I can find more suitable for an Organ sound, however since Jon Lord was using a Marshall JMC amp a stack plugged to his B3 and sounded distorted with fabulous sound for that Organ music style, the speakers used were Celestion as those came default on Marshall

Definitely I will go for a 30 watts max speaker need to choose what
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

davemojo wrote:
Thu 01/21/21 5:26 am
I admit I am now starting to get confuse, I opened this forum query to clarify my doubts, and indeed all is much more clear than before, but again the choice is now difficult since it all depends and there is no one straight answer.

Some are saying Celestion is way to go, probably if you are a guitarist and depending on the music style.

Some other saying Chinese or UK Celestion are the same, probably are since as for many other things I found often time Chinese stuff to be good in quality.

I will also look at other brands to see what I can find more suitable for an Organ sound, however since Jon Lord was using a Marshall JMC amp a stack plugged to his B3 and sounded distorted with fabulous sound for that Organ music style, the speakers used were Celestion as those came default on Marshall

Definitely I will go for a 30 watts max speaker need to choose what
I'm not opposed to products from China or anything like that. My issue with Celestion is that they're simply not as good as their name used to be, and plenty of brands are better. But if you're going to send a speaker to be made in China at a significantly lower price point, why did the prices for those speakers generally go up? That's not China's fault, that's the Celestion corporation's business choices.

In any case, this subject matter is 90% subjective. Everybody will have different opinions on it. The part that is not subjective is the wattage. 30 to 50 watts is fine. The wattage part is a measurable difference in how much speaker distortion is generated. The difference between 30 to 50W isn't super fantastically different or likely that noticeable at all.

Going beyond the subjectivity, look at tone charts for the speakers you're interested in. Anything with big spikes above 1K or 2K will pierce your ears. Compare the charts to Greenbacks or Greenback clones, which are the most favored speaker for these circuits (though not mine, I prefer the WGS Blackhawk the most currently).

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Hey All,

So something to share and this is not just about amp built, speakers and how it all sound but clarifications since people sometime are mentally convinced of things that are not true in a way, but because there are voices around saying some stuff people believe it.

Celestion G12M 25 UK made vs Chinese version

My friend is a guitarist it plays rock/blues since 1993 27 years on the music field, plays live and it jam sometime with us. Is also a guitar teacher and sound Engineer.

He has all kind of Amp from Marshall JMC to reissue of Bluesbreaker to self build using both UK and Chinese version and guys, believe or not there is not audible difference in tone quality, we tested them using the same bluesbreaker amp. He knew it already, I don't since I am not so much into Amp except I am getting crazy for it to the point I am playing guitar again.

I carefully analyzed the construction material and honestly couldn't see any differences, after digging and speaking with some people and soughing some online reliable resource I am firmly convinced that:

the thing to keep in mind is that the production moved to china purely based on cost, same machines used to make them and so on. There is literally no difference.
1 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

davemojo wrote:
Fri 01/22/21 4:36 am
the thing to keep in mind is that the production moved to china purely based on cost, same machines used to make them and so on. There is literally no difference.
That's basically what I said above. They raised the price of the speaker and dropped the production cost. But now compare those speakers to other brands in a double blind A/B test and see who wins.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Fri 01/22/21 6:58 am
davemojo wrote:
Fri 01/22/21 4:36 am
That's basically what I said above. They raised the price of the speaker and dropped the production cost. But now compare those speakers to other brands in a double blind A/B test and see who wins.
Yes got it, that is something I haven't done yet, I didn't compare other brands with Celestion will check, probably I have to spend some money over time starting with something, and replacing it with another brand and again and again until i find what best suite my taste, also the Organ etc... will see thanks, with all those comments I know more for sure :-)
1 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks