Newb build question

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

DH166

Newb build question

Post by DH166 »

So, I'm doing my first build and thanks to input from you guys, I've chosen JMP's single-channel TMB. I've sourced the components and hardware and I'm getting ready to start wiring up the board. Now, I have two questions. First, can you point me to a good video(s) that walks through the whole build of an 18W? Everything I've found so far just sort of jumps or timelapses through it. Second, a more specific question: on the layout, as pictured below, what are these that look like grounding lugs or tabs on a switch, shown offset of V1 through V3, that each of the purple wires connects through to a resistor? I'm assuming they're tabs coming off the pins on the tube socket itself. Is that correct, and how do I know which tabs/pins are indicated? Thanks for your help and your patience with a total newbie and his questions.
18W.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Newb build question

Post by JMPGuitars »

DH166 wrote: โ†‘
Tue 01/26/21 10:32 am
So, I'm doing my first build and thanks to input from you guys, I've chosen JMP's single-channel TMB. I've sourced the components and hardware and I'm getting ready to start wiring up the board. Now, I have two questions. First, can you point me to a good video(s) that walks through the whole build of an 18W? Everything I've found so far just sort of jumps or timelapses through it. Second, a more specific question: on the layout, as pictured below, what are these that look like grounding lugs or tabs on a switch, shown offset of V1 through V3, that each of the purple wires connects through to a resistor? I'm assuming they're tabs coming off the pins on the tube socket itself. Is that correct, and how do I know which tabs/pins are indicated? Thanks for your help and your patience with a total newbie and his questions.
18W.PNG
There aren't any good videos really, and you don't want to pick up bad habits from one either. Read the threads in my signature for understanding ground schemes, and more importantly, soldering technique. Following my docs, you've already got a good ground scheme, but it doesn't hurt to learn more about it. Study the soldering technique videos, it's the most important thing you can do to make a great amp.

Those tabby things are called terminal strips. You can see an example here: https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/t ... horizontal

The most important part of understanding the terminal strips is paying attention to which lug is connected to ground. I have it drawn exactly as you want to make it.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook ยท Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Newb build question