New 18W Superlite TMB/Arc Welder for a minute

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

ViperDoc
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: New 18W Superlite TMB/Arc Welder for a minute

Post by ViperDoc »

Thanks for the tips.
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I shielded the guitars that need it. But there is one that keeps having that.. oh well... I'm fine with that..
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

ViperDoc
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ViperDoc »

Just a quick update:

When using 7189 tubes in an EL84 build, although the normal operating 7189 plate voltages are listed as higher handling, the recommended operating screen voltages are the same as EL84s. The B-node screen dropping resistors, therefore, will need to be increased to protect the screens when targeting higher 7189 plate voltages.

I designed my build for a slightly higher B+ of 364V rectified (running 120V into the PT 110V primary), so with the S-lite schematic values, that placed my 7189 screen voltages at 350 VDC, which is 20V over the maximum. My mistake for not checking that. I will up the screen resistor values, possibly replace my tubes and return and report!

As a quick test, I variac'd my AC down to 110V and the amp just sounds killer. KILLER. Not sure whether to marry my Brown Box to this amp or knock my power string down after the OT primary tap.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

ViperDoc wrote:
Mon 02/08/21 1:42 am
As a quick test, I variac'd my AC down to 110V and the amp just sounds killer. KILLER. Not sure whether to marry my Brown Box to this amp or knock my power string down after the OT primary tap.
Test your voltages at the 110VAC source, then adjust B+ to match at normal source voltage. You shouldn't need to replace the tubes, but if you do, send the old ones my way. ;) ;)
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

ViperDoc
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: New 18W Superlite TMB

Post by ViperDoc »

I just installed a Metro Zero Loss effects loop after working out some voltages. After adjusting the levels, it sounds great. It did pull my power string voltages down a bit from its current draw, so I'll adjust it back up and I should be golden. To test the 7189s at their full plate voltage potential, I'll need to use a different transformer, but this amp sounds great as is.

3 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: New 18W Superlite TMB

Post by Bieworm »

ViperDoc wrote:
Sat 03/06/21 6:20 pm
I just installed a Metro Zero Loss effects loop after working out some voltages. After adjusting the levels, it sounds great. It did pull my power string voltages down a bit from its current draw, so I'll adjust it back up and I should be golden. To test the 7189s at their full plate voltage potential, I'll need to use a different transformer, but this amp sounds great as is.

Looking sweet🙂
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"