EU based 18w plexi kit?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Tadhg
Unrated

EU based 18w plexi kit?

Post by Tadhg »

Hi, sorry if I'm going over old ground hear..

I'm in Ireland and looking to build my first amp.
I'm after that hendrix/page plexi sound at reasonable dB so I've narrowed ot down to 18w plexi.
Experience wize I've built some pedals and I feel a well supported kit is the best place for me to start.
As a reference I really like the look of the Trinity 18w plexi for support and component quality. But ill get hammered on tax and shipping.

Is there an EU based alternative?

Any advice is appreciated.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: EU based 18w plexi kit?

Post by Bieworm »

Jukebox revival in Holland
Tube town in Germany
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Tadhg
Unrated

Post by Tadhg »

Thanks for the reply.

Tube town have a plexi style kit they sell (Px18). Has anybody got any experience with this kit?
How well is it voiced for that hendrix/page tone?
Quality of components? Are Hammond transformer any good?

There doesn't seem to be as much support as something like a trinity kit but it would be nearly half the price with shipping and tax.

Thanks.
0 x

Tadhg
Unrated

Post by Tadhg »

0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I order almost everything from tube town. Even that tubetown power transformer is really good imho. Hammond is good stuff for a fair price.
The only thing I would recommend buying extra are the turrets. The standard tube town turrets are bitching for soldering. Do yourself a favor and order gold plated turrets in the same order. They are heaven for soldering. And they are not expensive. Watch out that you buy 3mm turrets for 3mm boards and 2mm for 2mm boards.
Are you experienced in mounting turrets?
0 x

Riffmonster

Post by Riffmonster »

I mostly order from Tube Town too and I agree that all of their stuff is high quality. In addition, delivery is always on time and my orders never missed a part.

I did build the PX18 as my second amp years ago but did not succeed (I ended up recycling the parts because I was not able to troubleshoot it). As Bieworm pointed out, the turrets are quite difficult to solder. If you have no prior experience with soldering and electronics, I would start with a simpler build. As you said, the documentation is only the schematic, layout and some pictures so it might be tough for a newbie. I do, however, trust Tube Town that this amp sounds great and the price is pretty much the best in Europe.

Good luck with your build!
2 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Honestly.. if you want that page / hendrix sound I'd recommend building the tremolo TMB Josh has designed. There is a layout and schematic here on 18watt.com and there are a few builders that built it with great succes. I have built 2 and Josh is building his 2nd at the moment. It's a little higher level build than the classic 18W, but if you take your time and listen to the advice given here there shouldn't be a lot of problems building it. I think Josh has a BOM of it and so do I.
Believe me, you won't regret the build. This amp has more plexi vibe than any other 18W
https://www.dropbox.com/s/23h9ol4lwyy9r ... t.m4a?dl=0
0 x

Tadhg
Unrated

Post by Tadhg »

Amp Sounds great mate.

I have been considering this approach but it makes me a bit nervous.

As a ball park figure can all the bits be sourced for in or a round the €500 mark?

Is there a known/agreed list of premium components (transformers, caps etc)? For a top shelf amp?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Tadhg wrote:
Sun 03/07/21 5:00 pm
Is there a known/agreed list of premium components (transformers, caps etc)? For a top shelf amp?
There's plenty of opinions. ;)

I like CMF series resistors for all the 1W resistors. Ohmite, Xicon, or Dale for the higher wattage resistors. F&T or JJ cap cans, and I also like Nichicon for some of the electrolytics I use. I'm fairly certain Mouser or Newark have EU distribution centers.

For capacitors, I like Mallory 150M (or Series 150 is the same idea on Mouser), or SoZo caps. I prefer to work with the Mallory (mostly as a size preference), though the SoZo foils are marked if you don't have a scope, and that's certainly a benefit.

I like Heyboer and Mercury Magnetics transformers for 18W, but Hammond is good too (as long as you get the correct transformers). Bieworm really likes the tube town stuff, but I'm in the US, so I haven't personally tried it. They sound good in his demos.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Tadhg
Unrated

Post by Tadhg »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 03/07/21 2:23 pm
Honestly.. if you want that page / hendrix sound I'd recommend building the tremolo TMB Josh has designed. There is a layout and schematic here on 18watt.com and there are a few builders that built it with great succes. I have built 2 and Josh is building his 2nd at the moment. It's a little higher level build than the classic 18W, but if you take your time and listen to the advice given here there shouldn't be a lot of problems building it. I think Josh has a BOM of it and so do I.
Believe me, you won't regret the build. This amp has more plexi vibe than any other 18W
Is this the amp/schematic your talking about? Is the BOM available as a download?
storage/Plexi18Watt.jpg
0 x

Tadhg
Unrated

Post by Tadhg »

And thanks to everybody thats replied.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Tadhg wrote:
Sun 03/07/21 5:25 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Sun 03/07/21 2:23 pm
Is this the amp/schematic your talking about? Is the BOM available as a download?
storage/Plexi18Watt.jpg
No, this is the one:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25550
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Tadhg wrote:
Sun 03/07/21 5:00 pm
Amp Sounds great mate.

I have been considering this approach but it makes me a bit nervous.

As a ball park figure can all the bits be sourced for in or a round the €500 mark?

I will be releasing a PCB and build instructions soon, if you're interested in a PCB version.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Tadhg
Unrated

Post by Tadhg »

Cheers, I have it in my head to do a point to point amp.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

You don't realize what you're saying no to...
That ain't no ordinary PCB. That's boogie or bogner level construction stuff. I mean, did you see those yet?
And, by point to point you mean handwired? Or really PTP? That's really hard to do..PTP
0 x

Tadhg
Unrated

Post by Tadhg »

Yeah, its handwird i mean. Thats based on an assumption that future mods/changes might be easier.
0 x

Tadhg
Unrated

Post by Tadhg »

Appreciate the offer all the same.
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Tadhg wrote:
Mon 03/08/21 1:22 pm
Yeah, its handwird i mean. Thats based on an assumption that future mods/changes might be easier.
Fair enough. Maybe you'd better start with the superlite TMB? The tremolo TMB is not the best platform to start modding. It's optimalized to a perfect level. I couldn't imagine any mod that would make it a better amp...that would be like plastic surgery performed on a godess 😃😃😃.. things only get uglier
0 x