18 watt combo

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

AussieTim

18 watt combo

Post by AussieTim »

Hi Guys
I feel really silly asking this but which way do the tubes in an 18 watt combo go, I am in the process of finalizing the chassis layout which I had intended to have the valves pointing down but I came across some pictures of the valves pointing forwards in the same plane as the transformers which would be easier to layout yet seems counter-intuitive. So which way is correct? Does it matter apart from having to pull the chassis out to change tubes? If laying the valves horizontally do they need anything special or are normal retainers Ok?
Still wondering why there is resistance to using channel switching on a 18 watt amp, to me it seems to be a relay controlled AB box or am I missing something?
Thank You
Tim
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: 18 watt combo

Post by Bieworm »

AussieTim wrote:
Wed 03/10/21 8:41 am
Hi Guys
I feel really silly asking this but which way do the tubes in an 18 watt combo go, I am in the process of finalizing the chassis layout which I had intended to have the valves pointing down but I came across some pictures of the valves pointing forwards in the same plane as the transformers which would be easier to layout yet seems counter-intuitive. So which way is correct? Does it matter apart from having to pull the chassis out to change tubes? If laying the valves horizontally do they need anything special or are normal retainers Ok?
Still wondering why there is resistance to using channel switching on a 18 watt amp, to me it seems to be a relay controlled AB box or am I missing something?
Thank You
Tim
It's easier when the tubes are accessable.
* Front panel controlled amp: tubes hanging from the bottom of the chassis
* Top panel controlled amp: tubes hanging from the backside of the chassis

I agree about the relay thing being no problem. Watch out, cuz the relay needs powering. It's crowding the chassis' content.
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"