18 Watts amp start up issues

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: 18 Watts amp start up issues

Post by davemojo »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Fri 04/16/21 10:21 am
davemojo wrote:
Fri 04/16/21 12:51 am

... the wire seen on that photo, are the one coming from the PT bought it at Tonefactory and doesn't have any pre-tinned wire, instead the other wire I bought for the build are the right wire,

The wire i used are vintage cloth solid 18 awg green and 22 awg yellow.
I'm surprised they would use un-tinned lead out wire for a transformer. Anyway, it sounds like you have the correct wire for building the amplifier.

About the soldering, I wonder if the iron you have might be too small? Beginners don't always know what equipment to use. You need at least 45-60W of heat for tube sockets and such. To tin stranded wire, it's easier if you twist the exposed copper tightly by hand, then put a little solder on the tip of the iron and touch it briefly to the end of the wire. Only tin the end, don't allow the solder to flow up the wire. Otherwise, the wire becomes too stiff to wrap around the lug.

Also, when you start soldering the joint, hold the tip on the joint and apply just a little solder at first (between the tip and joint) to create good heat transfer. Then allow the wire and lug to get hot enough to flow the solder and add a little more. It should melt quickly and flow around the lug and part way up the wire.

Josh's tutorial is good, and there are many more on YouTube showing examples of soldering. Don't get discouraged, it just takes practice.

Jack
nope I am ok now was just a moment of course I am here to learn thanks for all the support.

I have restarted checking my current build, I will definitely succeed I planned to dismount pat of the build and restart over :D
2 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks