Wiring clarification + Turret Board Connections

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Wiring clarification + Turret Board Connections

Post by davemojo »

Hi All

While fixing my first amp built that has some issues I am thinking for next build.

I have removed on my first amp all tube sockets since the issue was there and restarting all that part from scratch

That being said my questions

For the new build

1) Stranded tinned wire silicon
2) Or solid tinned Silicon

Stranded are a little more difficult to solder at least for me.

Size is clear 18 awg heater wire rest can be 20 or 22

On the turret board , see layout there is some sort of wire that connects externally some turrets

I am not sure how technically that is called a bus wire maybe?

It is solid tinned or at least it seems so how is called since I need to get this?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Wiring clarification + Turret Board Connections

Post by JMPGuitars »

Don't use 18AWG for heaters. Use 20 to 22AWG. 18AWG is too thick and a PITA. I only use 18AWG for the power transformer connections to the IEC socket, earth from IEC socket, and PT switches.

Solid or stranded is fine, but stranded is less likely to break. Stranded should be pre-tinned and bonded prior to making soldering connections. Watch the soldering videos again, they show how to do this correctly.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Those yellow wires connecting the turrets are jumper wires. You should do those on the top side so you can check and adjust afterwards. I use 0.5mm tinned solid wire and cover them with heat shrink between the turrets.
Here is an example:
20201012_211313.jpg
And as Josh said... NO 18 AWG for heaters. 22 is just fine and a lot easier to manipulate. The heater wiring is the hardest part of all wiring in the amp and should be done close to perfection. You don't wanna have doubts on those when your entire amp is wired. They should be very rigid when assembled. Again.. use heat shrink. Here, not the worlds best example.. but this is the idea :
20210329_210409.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

I meant precisely the silver metal wire running externally along the edge of the turret board see photo

for what you said before it is fine I got you

It is also a jumper wire but as I can see is a tick bare wire isn't?

It is soldered under the board isn't so that is a tinned solid bare wire correct?

Pardon me if I am asking again
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

davemojo wrote:
Sat 04/17/21 4:10 pm
I meant precisely the silver metal wire running externally along the edge of the turret board see photo
That's called a bus wire. Read the modern ground schemes in my signature to make sure you do it correctly.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 04/17/21 4:19 pm
davemojo wrote:
Sat 04/17/21 4:10 pm
That's called a bus wire. Read the modern ground schemes in my signature to make sure you do it correctly.

Thanks,
Josh
Exactly bus wire thanks again tomorrow I’ll a look once more all videos + modern ground scheme to be honest I’m looking at it every day

I done basic electronics training and I’m going through an amp course I found online

I am seriously interested really am

Thanks again
3 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Speaking of bus wire, I just discovered that none of my usual suppliers have anything larger than 20 ga now. I have a small hank of 14 ga left, but I'll need more soon. Is anyone in the US still selling 5-10' lengths of the larger wire?

Jack
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

I bought 10' of 16 gauge back in November https://www.tubedepot.com/products/tin- ... -buss-wire
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

crgfrench wrote:
Sat 04/17/21 8:17 pm
I bought 10' of 16 gauge back in November https://www.tubedepot.com/products/tin- ... -buss-wire
But they spelled bus wrong! I thought maybe you would avoid it because of that. ;)
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Hi all

That was one of point why I rose the question

Finding the right size tube-town doesn’t seem to have it same tonefactory or Banzai

However at local hardware store they have 14 ga solid but insulated wire if removing the insulation the result is the same robust bus wire , in other words that is bare wire however don’t know if the is tinned wire need to double check

Thanks
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

After more searching, Jameco has 100' spools of 16 ga for $18 (less expensive than Tube Depot if you can use that much). I found another place with 25' minimums selling 16 ga for $0.24/ft, 10 ga for $0.60/ft. and 6 ga (!) for $0.90/ft. 14 ga is really the most useful size, but they're out of that. I wonder if there's a shortage due to the pandemic? I don't remember having problems finding this a few years ago.

Jack
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

davemojo wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 1:02 am
Hi all

Finding the right size tube-town doesn’t seem to have it same tonefactory or Banzai

However at local hardware store they have 14 ga solid but insulated wire if removing the insulation the result is the same robust bus wire , in other words that is bare wire however don’t know if the is tinned wire need to double check

Thanks
Sure they do at tube town. Here, this one is real thick. This is the one I use.
https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/silve ... m-3-m.html
1 x

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 04/17/21 8:26 pm
crgfrench wrote:
Sat 04/17/21 8:17 pm
But they spelled bus wrong! I thought maybe you would avoid it because of that. ;)
At first thought I spelled wrong, since I saw on Tubedepot Buss rather than bus hehehehe never mind
1 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 2:09 am
davemojo wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 1:02 am
Hi all

Thanks
Sure they do at tube town. Here, this one is real thick. This is the one I use.
https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/silve ... m-3-m.html
Nice spotting that I couldn't find it, atm isn't available hints says to check back 16 May
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

0 x

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 3:16 am
https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/silve ... m-2-m.html

This one is available
I was replying just now about this one hehehe yes this is good one

isn't too thick is?

I think i like to follow up with that Tubetown project layout doesn't seem too bad is?
1 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

davemojo wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 4:19 am
Bieworm wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 3:16 am
https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/silve ... m-2-m.html

This one is available
I was replying just now about this one hehehe yes this is good one

isn't too thick is?

I think i like to follow up with that Tubetown project layout doesn't seem too bad is?
No no no... follow the layouts from 18Watt.com
1 x

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Hey folks

When looking at this, see photo, there are mainly 2 to 3 ways when soldering turret board.

for components such resistors we could feed the turret with solder, so from the top.
another method is to create a little hook on the resistor to create a solid connection and to solder the side of the turret between the hook and the turret itself. I watched Josh videos, the old vintage video explaining all different method , fantastic today I was able to train myself on a broken turret board, perfect for simulation and practice.

I also have a question, if you check the wire connections coming from pots, gray wire, on the photo example I see a clean job with wire solder under the turret.

Now to be able to do that you must put the turret upside down, but that isn't practicle and even possible, so how would that wire be soldered underneath turret, the only way I see it is you prepare that in advance before connecting the turret to chassis and even before adding components, correct?
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

davemojo wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 10:23 am
Hey folks

When looking at this, see photo, there are mainly 2 to 3 ways when soldering turret board.

for components such resistors we could feed the turret with solder, so from the top.
another method is to create a little hook on the resistor to create a solid connection and to solder the side of the turret between the hook and the turret itself. I watched Josh videos, the old vintage video explaining all different method , fantastic today I was able to train myself on a broken turret board, perfect for simulation and practice.

I also have a question, if you check the wire connections coming from pots, gray wire, on the photo example I see a clean job with wire solder under the turret.

Now to be able to do that you must put the turret upside down, but that isn't practical and even possible, so how would that wire be soldered underneath turret?

The only way I see it, is to prepare that in advance before connecting the turret to chassis and even before adding components, correct?
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

davemojo wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 10:23 am
Hey folks

Now to be able to do that you must put the turret upside down, but that isn't practicle and even possible, so how would that wire be soldered underneath turret, the only way I see it is you prepare that in advance before connecting the turret to chassis and even before adding components, correct?
Dave... forget about soldering the underside. Only top side soldering. You don't wanna have trouble when you have to resolder connections when everything is soldered. Try to avoid soldering in the holes of the turrets. Use hooked wires around the turrets. Much easier to redo. The holes in the turrets are a mess and there is little control over it when the solder drips underneath, making shorts between the turrets and chassis. I myself try to only use the holes for the ground bus.
Try soldering the holes.. there is always some goo coming out of it when soldering
Here is my 18W tremolo TMB reverb.. some kind of example on this. Not perfect, but it gives you the idea :
20201206_141347.jpg
0 x