Replacing Turret Board Components

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

mkel2010
Unrated

Replacing Turret Board Components

Post by mkel2010 »

In order to try to reduce the amount of hiss coming from my amp (build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25860) I need to replace some carbon film resistors with metal film. When I built the turret board, I installed the component leads into the turret holes and then soldered them in (whether right or wrong, it's done.) Is it acceptable to clip the existing leads to remove the resistors and then install the new leads by making a mechanical connection to the outside of the turret and solder there? My previous attempts at desoldering components on circuit boards yielded less than stellar results so I'm looking for the best way to replace the parts without doing a bunch of desoldering or buying a vacuum desoldering station.

In my build thread, it was also suggested that I change the cathode bypass cap to a larger one. I've purchased several different sizes and am wondering if there is a way to temporarily bypass the existing cathode bypass cap to see how the amp sounds with a different one before committing to the change?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Replacing Turret Board Components

Post by JMPGuitars »

You could clip the leads, and make j-hooks to connect new components. But that's not ideal.

I have an Aoyue 2703A+ station that has the vacuum desoldering gun, it's wonderful, and reasonably priced.

For the capacitor, it doesn't matter. You can install them in parallel. Parallel capacitance is the sum of the parallel capacitors. In parallel a 50uF plus 100uF cap = 150uF.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

mkel2010
Unrated

Post by mkel2010 »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Wed 04/21/21 2:38 pm

I have an Aoyue 2703A+ station that has the vacuum desoldering gun, it's wonderful, and reasonably priced.

For the capacitor, it doesn't matter. You can install them in parallel. Parallel capacitance is the sum of the parallel capacitors. In parallel a 50uF plus 100uF cap = 150uF.
Thank you, Josh. I went ahead and ordered a vacuum desoldering station, the Aoyue 474++, since yours would be a little overkill for my purposes.

With regards to the parallel capacitors, could I temporarily make the connection with alligator clips to see how one sounds or would that not work?

Mark
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

mkel2010 wrote:
Wed 04/21/21 4:38 pm
With regards to the parallel capacitors, could I temporarily make the connection with alligator clips to see how one sounds or would that not work?
The issue with alligator clips is the question of the quality of the connection, and the possibility of shorting something out if they slip.

The best way to test temporarily, is to just use a drop of solder on the leads. You can solder permanently when you decide the value you like.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Wed 04/21/21 2:38 pm

\
And you can desolder a vacuum with that thing? Wow!! 8O :lol:
1 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

mkel2010 wrote:
Wed 04/21/21 12:08 pm
In order to try to reduce the amount of hiss coming from my amp (build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25860) I need to replace some carbon film resistors with metal film. When I built the turret board, I installed the component leads into the turret holes and then soldered them in (whether right or wrong, it's done.) Is it acceptable to clip the existing leads to remove the resistors and then install the new leads by making a mechanical connection to the outside of the turret and solder there? My previous attempts at desoldering components on circuit boards yielded less than stellar results so I'm looking for the best way to replace the parts without doing a bunch of desoldering or buying a vacuum desoldering station.

In my build thread, it was also suggested that I change the cathode bypass cap to a larger one. I've purchased several different sizes and am wondering if there is a way to temporarily bypass the existing cathode bypass cap to see how the amp sounds with a different one before committing to the change?
Most of your hiss will be from preamp tubes.You may need to try lower noise types. Carbon film resistors aren't generally very noisy - carbon comp resistors are :evil: . Not sure how a different cathode cap is supposed to help with the hiss problem :roll:
Also note that ultrasonic oscillations can also sound to our ears like a hiss. So maybe start by chopsticking leads and making sure to use shielded wire for longer signal connections.
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Sat 05/01/21 6:32 pm
If it will fit on the bench sure, but working on one would really suck. 😲
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Vacuum stations for turret boards?? It's totally unnecessary to spend that kind of money for this work.

Jack
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Sat 05/01/21 10:12 pm
Vacuum stations for turret boards?? It's totally unnecessary to spend that kind of money for this work.

Jack
$300 for a complete rework station with hot air, soldering, and desoldering is a darn good price. I don't like those manual pumps, too much effort, and never great results. I wouldn't suggest somebody pay $300 just for the desoldering gun, but I guess some people would still consider that cheap.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 05/01/21 7:42 pm
zaphod_phil wrote:
Sat 05/01/21 6:32 pm
If it will fit on the bench sure, but working on one would really suck. 😲
:lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

mkel2010
Unrated

Post by mkel2010 »

I have replaced the carbon comp resistors at the inputs and the plate resistors at V1 and V2 with metal film. The hiss is greatly reduced, but still overwhelms the guitar when the gain and volume are beyond about 60 to 70%. I have six different 12AX7 tubes that I've swapped around and it does not seem to have any effect on the hiss at the higher gain and volume levels. I have chop-sticked several times and found a loose wire that was causing a different problem and is now fixed. I did use shielded wire for the inputs and TMB channel's gain wiring. The amp is usable now, but I may look at replacing some of the other carbon comp resistors in the signal chain down the road.

The vacuum desoldering system that I got (Auyoe 474A++, $145 on Amazon) was very useful and allowed me to do the desoldering with one hand and have the other hand free. I have a manual pump but found that much more awkward to use. The cost of the unit was worth it to me.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

mkel2010 wrote:
Tue 05/04/21 6:46 pm
I have replaced the carbon comp resistors at the inputs and the plate resistors at V1 and V2 with metal film. The hiss is greatly reduced, but still overwhelms the guitar when the gain and volume are beyond about 60 to 70%. I have six different 12AX7 tubes that I've swapped around and it does not seem to have any effect on the hiss at the higher gain and volume levels. I have chop-sticked several times and found a loose wire that was causing a different problem and is now fixed. I did use shielded wire for the inputs and TMB channel's gain wiring. The amp is usable now, but I may look at replacing some of the other carbon comp resistors in the signal chain down the road.

The vacuum desoldering system that I got (Auyoe 474A++, $145 on Amazon) was very useful and allowed me to do the desoldering with one hand and have the other hand free. I have a manual pump but found that much more awkward to use. The cost of the unit was worth it to me.
I agree completely, the Aoyue desoldering stuff is great.

Have you made any changes to your grounding scheme yet? Check my previous messages if you have not.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

mkel2010
Unrated

Post by mkel2010 »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Tue 05/04/21 7:52 pm

Have you made any changes to your grounding scheme yet? Check my previous messages if you have not.
Josh,

The grounding scheme used on my amp is exactly as you describe in your signature link.

There are three ground points: The IEC has it's own ground; a separate power ground and a separate preamp/input/controls ground.

I'm not sure what you would have me change?

For reference, here are the layout and schematic drawings:
18WattSIIILayout6.pdf
18WattSIIISchematic13.pdf
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

mkel2010 wrote:
Wed 05/05/21 3:47 pm
Josh,

The grounding scheme used on my amp is exactly as you describe in your signature link.

There are three ground points: The IEC has it's own ground; a separate power ground and a separate preamp/input/controls ground.

I'm not sure what you would have me change?

For reference, here are the layout and schematic drawings:

18WattSIIILayout6.pdf
18WattSIIISchematic13.pdf

Mark
That's a good start, but it's not the same. Read the thread again and review the layout to see how the preamp grounds are actually run.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

mkel2010
Unrated

Post by mkel2010 »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Wed 05/05/21 5:02 pm

That's a good start, but it's not the same. Read the thread again and review the layout to see how the preamp grounds are actually run.

Thanks,
Josh
OK. I think I see the difference: You're position is that the preamp bus ground is attached at the input jack instead of the chassis ground point shared with the input jack in my layout, correct?

Can you help me understand how the two grounding schemes are different and why one is better than the other (trying to learn is the reason for the question?) I've tried to find explanations that are understandable but haven't had a great deal of success.

If I change the ground bus to the input jack, does it matter to the effectiveness of the ground connection which of the input jack ground lugs is used?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

mkel2010 wrote:
Wed 05/05/21 6:28 pm
OK. I think I see the difference: You're position is that the preamp bus ground is attached at the input jack instead of the chassis ground point shared with the input jack in my layout, correct?

Can you help me understand how the two grounding schemes are different and why one is better than the other (trying to learn is the reason for the question?) I've tried to find explanations that are understandable but haven't had a great deal of success.

If I change the ground bus to the input jack, does it matter to the effectiveness of the ground connection which of the input jack ground lugs is used?
Getting closer. Connect all preamp grounds with as short as possible wires to the bus. Then connect the bus to the input jack, and the input jack to ground. I typically connect all the pot grounds to each other, then run 1 wire to the bus. You want as few antennas as possible.

I just looked at your build thread again. Your heater wiring is also a potential noise problem. Heater wires need to be nice and tight and clean. For example:
heater-wiring.jpg

Lead dress can cause all kinds of issues. Work for a nice clean build, and that's what you'll get. And don't run plate + grid wires parallel or they'll squeal.

Thanks,
Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

mkel2010
Unrated

Post by mkel2010 »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Wed 05/05/21 7:50 pm
mkel2010 wrote:
Wed 05/05/21 6:28 pm

The way the input jacks are wired, there are 5 potential connection lugs, all connected and then grounded to the chassis. Should I use the same connection point as the ground from the input jack to chassis or can I use one of the other grounded lugs on either of the input jacks?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

mkel2010 wrote:
Wed 05/05/21 8:14 pm
The way the input jacks are wired, there are 5 potential connection lugs, all connected and then grounded to the chassis. Should I use the same connection point as the ground from the input jack to chassis or can I use one of the other grounded lugs on either of the input jacks?
The same exact point where the input jacks are connected to the chassis is where the preamp bus should be connected.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

mkel2010
Unrated

Post by mkel2010 »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Thu 05/06/21 8:12 am

The same exact point where the input jacks are connected to the chassis is where the preamp bus should be connected.

Thanks,
Josh
Got it. Thanks.
1 x