Tremolo TMB comparisons

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Tremolo TMB comparisons

Post by Bieworm »

Josh, Jack.. to not hijack the thread where I mentioned the original tremolo TMB sounding the best of the 3 I have, I started this new thread.
Today I compared all 3 with 3 speakers. An old g12h30, a classic lead and the eminence reignmaker. I was not dillusional when saying the original sounds best. It just does.. no matter what speaker.
It's no huge difference, but it sounds woodier and Jimi'er... and a tad crunchier but in a smoother way.
The differences are:
1. 8.2k dropping resistor node C to D. The others have 4.7k
2. Voltage divider on V2a is 470k to grid / 10k from grid with an A500k in series. The others havevthe 470k to grid / 47k from grid in series with A250k to ground. The 250+47k adds up to 300k... I measured my favorit setting at 410k in the original.
Not sure if this all makes the difference. Could still be the combo cab type or the brand of components. I'm going to compare voltages tomorrow.. but I thought I'd put this info in the group for now.
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Tremolo TMB comparisons

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 04/24/21 2:37 pm
Josh, Jack.. to not hijack the thread where I mentioned the original tremolo TMB sounding the best of the 3 I have, I started this new thread.
Today I compared all 3 with 3 speakers. An old g12h30, a classic lead and the eminence reignmaker. I was not dillusional when saying the original sounds best. It just does.. no matter what speaker.
It's no huge difference, but it sounds woodier and Jimi'er... and a tad crunchier but in a smoother way.
The differences are:
2. Voltage divider on V2a is 470k to grid / 10k from grid with an A500k in series. The others havevthe 470k to grid / 47k from grid in series with A250k to ground. The 250+47k adds up to 300k... I measured my favorit setting at 410k in the original.
Not sure if this all makes the difference. Could still be the combo cab type or the brand of components. I'm going to compare voltages tomorrow.. but I thought I'd put this info in the group for now.
Voltages and components then. But the real question is if you could tell the difference blind on a recording.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

It would be interesting to apply a variable B+ to those first two stages, just to see how the tone and compression change.

Jack
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 04/24/21 3:15 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Sat 04/24/21 2:37 pm
The differences are:
Voltages and components then. But the real question is if you could tell the difference blind on a recording.
A recording with my phone? I doubt that.. it compensates too much. But in front of the amps? Yes! I'm really sure.
And it's not that I'm in favor for it.. I'm actually biased towards the 36W..
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 04/24/21 4:04 pm
A recording with my phone? I doubt that.. it compensates too much. But in front of the amps? Yes! I'm really sure.
And it's not that I'm in favor for it.. I'm actually biased towards the 36W..
I like the 36W I made also. That PCB worked out great. I need to record my demo already so I can post them for sale, but I've been a little busy.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I will make that video for you too. Just need the right moment and in the mean while thinking about what riffs to play. It's gotta be something good to represent what the tremolo TMB stands for..
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 04/24/21 5:24 pm
I will make that video for you too. Just need the right moment and in the mean while thinking about what riffs to play. It's gotta be something good to represent what the tremolo TMB stands for..
Yeah, that would be good. You're way more into tremolo than I am. I'm probably gonna do something funky.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Josh.. that's the key ingredient. The 400k to ground sounds crunchier and creamier imho. Ok, you loose some clean on the dial in the sweep of the gain pot... but honestly I set the gain always between 2 O'clock and full gain.
So I tried putting a 100k in series with the 47k and the 250k pot.
Try it. And let me know what you think.
If it's true than we can add a switch on the back to take it out of the circuit for those rare clean moments 😄😄😄
20210425_134107.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Here is a link to the videoclip I made just now. I think it's a great one!!!!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bonobnzorrk6s ... 10425?dl=0
It's the 36W 6L6 with the 400k to ground on the gain pot. Speaker is an Eminence Reignmaker 8 Ohm. WTF man!!!!

I'm pretty amazed how good the sound quality of that stupid Samsung phone is when I record stuff with it
1 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Do you have access to the settings? Dropbox is asking me to download the entire 1/2 Gb file instead of playing it.

Jack
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Thanks for the demo! I posted it here (with Bieworm's permission for anybody wondering 😉): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzW-oPHK7T8

For anybody on this site interested in the PCBs, please message me directly, especially if you're outside of the US.

PCB Specs:
Dimensions: 12.1" x 3.75" (307.34mm x 95.25mm)
Thickness: 1/8" (3.2mm)
Material: FR4-TG170
Surface Finish: ENIG(2µ")
Solder Mask: Matt Blue
Copper: 2oz
RoHS: Yes
Version: 1.36.9

Thanks!
Josh
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Thanks Josh! Hope this demo can convince people they just need that PCB😉

Edit: I don't know if it's due to the PCB, or due to the fact I built that amp 3x... but this one is absolutely noise free. Maybe it's the combination of both😊
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 04/25/21 12:49 pm
Thanks Josh! Hope this demo can convince people they just need that PCB😉

Edit: I don't know if it's due to the PCB, or due to the fact I built that amp 3x... but this one is absolutely noise free. Maybe it's the combination of both😊
Definitely both. The PCB is designed to reduce noise, but a poorly built amp could mess that up. So, nice work. ;)
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I finally took the time to do a search for the Tube Town transformers I use.. and am very pleased with, both in build quality and appearance.
Apparently they are built by inMADout, an Italian company that claims to use high quality materials, focussed on the sonic properties of audio use. I don't know if that's all commercial talk, but my experience with their products is very good and the prices charged are hard to beat. My 1st 18 watt had both a PT an OT from Hammond. Those are just fine, but it puzzles me that they're not covering the wires when they paint 'em black. It was pretty messy to work with those. Paint chips all over the workbench, hard to determine the wire color for some, especially the colored wires with a black pinstripe on it.

so for European builders I can really recommend the inMADout transformers. The are distributed by Tube Town

https://www.inmadout.com/index.asp
https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/

EDIT: I must admit when I found out they were Italian I felt a little worried. IDK how you guys think of Italian made stuff, but in my book that's synonymous for: design, overly designed, plastic, cheap made and cheap feel,... rather focussed on appearance than quality. Some things perform really well, but for a very limited timespan. I remember my cousins' wedding.. he hired an oldtimer ferrari , had to let the engine run on idle in front of the town hall, out of fear the d@mn thing wouldn't start afterwards. Right before he had to bring it back to the rental company the passenger door just fell off 8) 8) 8)
but like I said, the transformers are built really well and are keeping up with my abuse for the last 12 months
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Videoclip of my 18W Tremolo TMB Reverb with the old 70s G12h30

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ob5y6fcz82l72 ... everb?dl=0
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 05/01/21 2:44 pm
Videoclip of my 18W Tremolo TMB Reverb with the old 70s G12h30

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ob5y6fcz82l72 ... everb?dl=0
Very nice! But you need a youtube channel. Or at least make sure the file name has .mp4 at the end of it so people can preview it without downloading it.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

https://youtu.be/-SzS1ryQYJY

I have had this channel for a long time, but never used it
2 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

Bieworm which Hz is that speaker,50 or 75?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Sun 05/02/21 1:42 pm
Bieworm which Hz is that speaker,50 or 75?
75Hz. Not important to me... I haven't heard a better speaker ever!!
0 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Love it, great sound!

Jack
1 x