How to fit and attach an 18 Watts chassis on a Combo or Head Enclosure

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

How to fit and attach an 18 Watts chassis on a Combo or Head Enclosure

Post by davemojo »

Hi All,

I have recently bought a chassis for a new project following Josh schematic layout.

I also had some help and training with someone local that build Amps and is a technician so that was very handful since now I feel ready.

I also fixed my first build and I will never follow a layout kit from Mojotone or Stewmac all crap there

Now I understand why you guys told me that lol

Now my question is too specific the chassis I bought is from Tube-Town and compared with some usual chassis those have the square holes needed to bolt the chassis in to the cabinet in the inside of the chassis itself.

Now probably Bjorn , that kindly has always helped is the one that could suggest since he use the same chassis or at least he had used.

Please check the photo of the chassis fixing on the rear panel can be challenging since there will be no space to put a nut inside the square hole when attaching the chassis I am trying to understand the best way to accomplish this. I am also attaching a photo of my last Combo Build a 1x Bluesbreaker style black.

If anyone else beside Bjorn has suggestions on how to accomplish a good work on attaching this type of chassis it will be very much appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: How to fit and attach an 18 Watts chassis on a Combo or Head Enclosure

Post by Bieworm »

you can attach it to the back panel with these:

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/mount ... assis.html

Myself, I made a wooden support in the cabinet, drilled some holes in the chassis bottom and screwed the chassis to those supports
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 05/07/21 5:18 am
you can attach it to the back panel with these:

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/mount ... assis.html

Myself, I made a wooden support in the cabinet, drilled some holes in the chassis bottom and screwed the chassis to those supports
This one I already have it, I put it this way , correct? See photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Obviously I began with a new build as mentioned earlier,

Starting today , this is dangerously addictive hurray
2 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Sorry to bother you guys

There is also a kit I am building for my brother I am doing it together and we got a wiring issue

Sorry to bother you again with my questions

But when it gets to the wring color setup and when layout color do not match I am getting stuck this is a tube-town PT

TT Powertransformer 18 Watt, universal

There should be 2 blue wire going to power switch but I see one, what is strange on the Tube-Town photo of the PT it shows 2 blue wire, however the PT is the one I bought i mean the model is the same of the one received but wiring color seems different can you help me identifying the wiring i got few right already

1) 2 Purple are V6 EZ81pin 1 -7
2) Pink and Gray are also V6 pin 4 - 5 however there are 2 gray one thinner one thicker

The rest is messy for me can't get it right
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Don't apologize..
Why not build the tremolo TMB? That will give you access to OD at much lower volume when you want to
Orderthe pcb from Josh.. that thing is da bomb!!!
0 x

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 05/07/21 9:35 am
Don't apologize..
Why not build the tremolo TMB? That will give you access to OD at much lower volume when you want to
I am doing the one from Josh, which is for me, this one is for my broth is the Tube-Town, and I am interested to succeed in this one too since is good practice, but...already stuck with wiring
1 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

davemojo wrote:
Fri 05/07/21 9:44 am
Bieworm wrote:
Fri 05/07/21 9:35 am
Don't apologize..
I am doing the one from Josh, which is for me, this one is for my broth is the Tube-Town, and I am interested to succeed in this one too since is good practice, but...already stuck with wiring
Lol. I will help you soon
0 x

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

I think this is right so far:

1) Blue black power switch
2) Gray Pink (thick Gray) V6 EZ81 pin 4 - 5
3) the 2 Purples V6 EZ81 pin 7 - 1
4) the 2 Brown thick Heater on V5 Pin 4 -5
5) Orange isn't used

However I have a spare 2 thin gray a white and another thin brown, not sure with those :-)
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

look:
PT wiring tube town.png
0 x

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 05/07/21 10:26 am
look:

PT wiring tube town.png
Thanks again

If you check layout I can see 2 blue wires out from PT straight to power switch bottom lugs the top right lug has then a piece of wire going down to power inlet N right lug and top left power switch going down to left lug on power inlet. Are the 2 blue the blue and white on my PT?
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

davemojo wrote:
Fri 05/07/21 12:29 pm
Bieworm wrote:
look:

PT wiring tube town.png
Thanks again

If you check layout I can see 2 blue wires out from PT straight to power switch bottom lugs the top right lug has then a piece of wire going down to power inlet N right lug and top left power switch going down to left lug on power inlet. Are the 2 blue the blue and white on my PT?
Forget the power supply wiring on that layout. Look for the "modern classic" in the download area of this site. Or the ceriatone 18 watt layout online. Then it will be more clear towards your wires. Not the actual colors, but you'd get the idea
0 x

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 05/07/21 1:53 pm
davemojo wrote:
Bieworm wrote:
look:

PT wiring tube town.png
Thanks again

Forget the power supply wiring on that layout. Look for the "modern classic" in the download area of this site. Or the ceriatone 18 watt layout online. Then it will be more clear towards your wires. Not the actual colors, but you'd get the idea
Sure I understand your point and my build will be following the modern build schematic but this one is not mine is a kit we bought, and I think I should stick on the instructions since we can't change how is built after all because it relies on specific resistors components on the way they did it but I think I figure it out what they did there, hopefully :-)
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

davemojo wrote:
Fri 05/07/21 2:24 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Fri 05/07/21 1:53 pm
davemojo wrote:

Thanks again

Sure I understand your point and my build will be following the modern build schematic but this one is not mine is a kit we bought, and I think I should stick on the instructions since we can't change how is built after all because it relies on specific resistors components on the way they did it but I think I figure it out what they did there, hopefully :-)
Davide.. the part of the circuit I'm talking about doesn't involve resistors. It's just the wiring until the 1st filter cap. You don't change anything except wiring layout. Promiss
0 x

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Yes I understand wiring until the first filter cap

I was wondering what they are exactly doing on that layout and why you would suggest a slightly different approach, the 2 blue seen on that schematic are the black and blue on my actual transformer,

On your way you are sending the blue to the power switch and the black to the power inlet, instead on that schematic they are sending both on the power switch and then they are bridging back to the power inlet, correct?

why that way wouldn't be good, also if you look properly at the switch I bought isn't like the usual one it has for lug connectors 2 down and two on top so... that is what creates confusion on me
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Hi Bjorn

So if you check the power inlet is slightly different from usual one same for the power switch.

Power switch has 4 lugs
Power inlet has a bridged connection on the side and the typical 3 lugs on the right side of the photo middle one must be ground.

On the Tube-Town layout they bring Blue and Blue both to power switch.
On my PT is Black N and Blue 230V so far so good

So I bring black to the right bottom lug?
And blue to the power inlet, which lug bottom or top one? since middle one is ground...

At this point I probably need to bring down another wire from left bottom power switch down to the power inlet other lug?

So following your wiring advise top lugs on power switch in this case will not be used correct?

Check photos please
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Screenshot_20210508-104558_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Davide..here's a wiring layout I'd recommend. Figure out what wire is which color ( I refer to my earlier notes on your photo)
About the double switch.. it's the same as 2 single switches next to each other.. only they're switched with 1 toggle. So the connections should be vertical... not horizontal. Check with a DMM for continuity to be sure.
0 x

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 05/08/21 3:51 am
Screenshot_20210508-104558_Adobe Acrobat.jpgDavide..here's a wiring layout I'd recommend. Figure out what wire is which color ( I refer to my earlier notes on your photo)
About the double switch.. it's the same as 2 single switches next to each other.. only they're switched with 1 toggle. So the connections should be vertical... not horizontal. Check with a DMM for continuity to be sure.
Ok that is how I am doing mine, got it yes I understand, and I trust your experience, since you are being doing this probably for long time, but...what would be the benefit between wiring this way and wiring the way Tube-Town did it?

I am not saying anything :-) that criticize the Modern Classic trying to understnad the logic behind

so far I have seen 3 ways to do it, Stewmac, Tube-Town, and Josh schematic, and Stewmac , not just the wiring but the entire Stewmac layout is crap no doubts, I understand it now.

What instead at least the wiring part, between Josh one and Tube-Town there are similitudes on how overall is made, the wiring is different, at least the parts being discussed here but I can't see a huge impact or benefits on doing one or the other.

Resistors are on both metal film, the overall layout build is much simplified compared with the obsolete StewMac style, I bet the Josh layout (Technically Speaking) is superior, in fact I am building both, hopefully will succeed in both at first go this time, will definately take my time eve if it will take long time, and I wanna test both sounds, I know they are different products I am expecting different sound.

The StewMac has a lots of hum, it works fine now but isn't brilliant, surely has to do with soldering, resistors being used, but anyway I want to succeed on making amps I like it and enjoy it hurray
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Wiring up the power supply can be confusing. That's why I recommend the JMPGuitars way. Not saying the tubetown layout is wrong.. it's too wire-y for my taste.
You clearly suffer from the amp building bug... haha
Be prepared you're going to have to troubleshoot anyway 😉
1 x

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 05/08/21 10:54 am
Wiring up the power supply can be confusing. That's why I recommend the JMPGuitars way. Not saying the tubetown layout is wrong.. it's too wire-y for my taste.
You clearly suffer from the amp building bug... haha
Be prepared you're going to have to troubleshoot anyway 😉
I thank you very much for your help.
1 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks