Build question 18 watt Superlite TMB

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Build question 18 watt Superlite TMB

Post by JMPGuitars »

katopan wrote:
Wed 05/12/21 6:43 am
JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 05/09/21 7:28 am
Have you played a Superlite TMB? The preamp distortion is great. I've used a attenuator with it too, but even that wasn't really necessary.
Yeah. And I built a 2W submini version of the Superlite too, as well as the standard TMB preamp in one of my test chassis. Each to their own, although I am a self confessed overdriven power pentode addict. TMB preamp distortion is a flavour to blend into the essential power stage distortion for me. But I can certainly respect other options.
I hear that. Power tube distortion is the best, but in the Superlite TMB, I think the preamp distortion is also quite good. Of course the guitar and speaker effect the final outcome too.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Wed 05/12/21 7:15 am
I hear that. Power tube distortion is the best, but in the Superlite TMB, I think the preamp distortion is also quite good.
Preamp distortion in my 2104-based 36W is also excellent. Very smooth and lots of sustain. I attenuate the signal before the PI so only the preamp breaks up. It's a very familiar sound, reminds me a great deal of early Hendrix.

Jack
1 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

katopan wrote:
Wed 05/12/21 6:43 am
JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 05/09/21 7:28 am
Have you played a Superlite TMB? The preamp distortion is great. I've used a attenuator with it too, but even that wasn't really necessary.
Thanks Katopan, I intentionally designed that preamp to give good, thick distortion. :D
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

mehfuzhoss

Post by mehfuzhoss »

I have sourced most of the parts for this build. and getting excited to start the build. The PT is a hammond 290PAZ with 580VCT. What B+ voltage am I expecting please explain if possible. will I get 290-0-290 with this PT.

what does the 2.2K 5watt resistor do that connects the two 32uf of the can cap and how different value will affect the voltage on the plates of EL84? i forgot to order this resistor.

thanks
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

mehfuzhoss wrote:
Thu 05/20/21 1:29 pm
I have sourced most of the parts for this build. and getting excited to start the build. The PT is a hammond 290PAZ with 580VCT. What B+ voltage am I expecting please explain if possible. will I get 290-0-290 with this PT.

what does the 2.2K 5watt resistor do that connects the two 32uf of the can cap and how different value will affect the voltage on the plates of EL84? i forgot to order this resistor.

thanks
580VCT (Volts Center-Tapped) is the same thing as 290-0-290. 290+290=580, and the 0 is the CT.

The 2.2K 5W resistor drops the voltage and isolates (along with the filter caps) the first and second B+ nodes. This resistor is essential, however, you can run any value between 1.5K to 2.2K as long as it's 5W. You will simply need to test your voltages and make sure the power tube screens are below the plate voltages. I recommend 1K 3W screen resistors.

Thanks,
Josh
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale