18W Tremolo

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

18W Tremolo

Post by TriodeLuvr »

What is the range in Hz of the tremolo speed control in the 18 Watt Tremolo TMB Reverb? Is there a different version of the 18W Tremolo TMB that exhibits a particularly wide range of adjustment?

Jack
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: 18W Tremolo

Post by JMPGuitars »

I don't recall the exact frequency range. If you do a search, I think somebody discussed it here somewhere. I think they also mentioned the option to use an LED to get it even slower.

The Tremolo TMB trem speed range can be extended by switching in a parallel .01µF with one of the three at V1. I think I swapped out the first one with a .022µF in the demo you liked, that gave it the slower range. Obviously making it switchable gives you the most versatility.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I'm an extensive tremolo user. To me the .01 triplet is just perfect. I'm not understanding the need for slower tremolo at all. But that's probably because I don't use it thát slow..
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Mon 05/17/21 1:53 pm
I don't recall the exact frequency range. If you do a search, I think somebody discussed it here somewhere. I think they also mentioned the option to use an LED to get it even slower.

The Tremolo TMB trem speed range can be extended by switching in a parallel .01µF with one of the three at V1. I think I swapped out the first one with a .022µF in the demo you liked, that gave it the slower range. Obviously making it switchable gives you the most versatility.

Thanks,
Josh
Maybe I should stop being lazy and just calculate it. :lol: Thanks, I'll look for that discussion.

Jack
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Mon 05/17/21 3:10 pm
Maybe I should stop being lazy and just calculate it. :lol: Thanks, I'll look for that discussion.

Jack
TBH I'm surprised you didn't calculate it in the first place. ;)

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Bieworm wrote:
Mon 05/17/21 2:47 pm
I'm an extensive tremolo user. To me the .01 triplet is just perfect. I'm not understanding the need for slower tremolo at all. But that's probably because I don't use it thát slow..
Well, it might be OK as-is for what I have in mind, but others before me have frequently added a switch to lower the range or used a chip-based oscillator. I don't like either approach, so I'm looking for an alternative. My application is a line-level vibrato for the effects loop. I want to include tremolo and have the option of driving the two effects in phase from one oscillator. Vibrato seems to benefit from a lower minimum speed, thus the search.

Jack
1 x