Marshall mod in PI

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

musicheals

Marshall mod in PI

Post by musicheals »

Hi,

Has anybody ever seen or used this mod in the PI of a Marshall style amp?
Will it change the balance in the PI or just remove some higher frequencies?

Thanks
musicheals
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: Marshall mod in PI

Post by zaphod_phil »

Injecting NFB into the tail of the PI simply increases the balance of the PI + PA, thereby decreasing the nice, warm even-order harmonics. So you probably won't want it Many F*nder amps have that form of NFB, as well as bigger Marshall amps, derived from the F*nder Bassman design.
Injecting the NFB signal into the pin 2 of the PI will reduce harmonic distortion - up until when the amp starts to clip and then all bets are off! This is again another F*nder design feature from the time that Leo was mistakenly trying to make his amps more Hi-Fi-like. But the NFB also has the effect of reducing high-end detail. The additional cap to ground via the pot siphons higher frequencies out of the NFB loop to help preserve the high-end sparkle. The pot (Presence control) allows the amount being siphoned out to be varied.

Hope that explanation made sense :)
So without all that F*nder-designed NFB stuff, the Marshall 18W is a more dynamic and expressive amp :D
2 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

The 250 pF cap will create an additional rolloff amounting to approximately -3.5 dB at 10 kHz. It doesn't have much affect on balance, because the contour it creates is not restricted to only one output phase.

Jack
1 x

musicheals

Post by musicheals »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Mon 06/14/21 5:51 pm
The 250 pF cap will create an additional rolloff amounting to approximately -3.5 dB at 10 kHz. It doesn't have much affect on balance, because the contour it creates is not restricted to only one output phase.

Jack
Thanks a lot
musicheals
0 x

musicheals

Post by musicheals »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Mon 06/14/21 4:57 pm
Injecting NFB into the tail of the PI simply increases the balance of the PI + PA, thereby decreasing the nice, warm even-order harmonics. So you probably won't want it Many F*nder amps have that form of NFB, as well as bigger Marshall amps, derived from the F*nder Bassman design.
Injecting the NFB signal into the pin 2 of the PI will reduce harmonic distortion - up until when the amp starts to clip and then all bets are off! This is again another F*nder design feature from the time that Leo was mistakenly trying to make his amps more Hi-Fi-like. But the NFB also has the effect of reducing high-end detail. The additional cap to ground via the pot siphons higher frequencies out of the NFB loop to help preserve the high-end sparkle. The pot (Presence control) allows the amount being siphoned out to be varied.

Hope that explanation made sense :)
So without all that F*nder-designed NFB stuff, the Marshall 18W is a more dynamic and expressive amp :D
Yes, I know about the NFB, thanks. I found this mod on the Marshall forum and it was found in a JTM45, which is said it belonged to Paul Kossoff and Andy Fraser...

Thanks
musicheals
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

musicheals wrote:
Tue 06/15/21 12:53 am

Yes, I know about the NFB, thanks. I found this mod on the Marshall forum and it was found in a JTM45, which is said, belonged to Paul Kossoff and Andy Fraser...

Thanks
musicheals
What exactly is the mod you're talking about :?:
0 x

musicheals

Post by musicheals »

...the 250pF across the 1M grid resistor, which you can find in the beginning of this post
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

TriodeLuvr wrote:

Jack
Yes, I agree. I suspect it might be a band-aid fix to help prevent parasitic oscillations. Likewise, you sometime see a 250pF cap strapped between the PI anodes.
1 x

musicheals

Post by musicheals »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Thu 06/17/21 11:28 am
TriodeLuvr wrote:

Jack
Yes, I agree. I suspect it might be a band-aid fix to help prevent parasitic oscillations. Likewise, you sometime see a 250pF cap strapped between the PI anodes.
Yes, in the meantime I tried this mod and I'm sure, it was used to prevent oscillation

musicheals
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

musicheals wrote:
Fri 06/18/21 2:13 am
zaphod_phil wrote:
Thu 06/17/21 11:28 am
TriodeLuvr wrote:

Jack
Yes, in the meantime I tried this mod and I'm sure, it was used to prevent oscillation

musicheals
It might also cause some loss of top-end detail and sparkle
0 x