New guy needing help

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: New guy needing help

Post by Bieworm »

Nice! I rarely use wahs though.. but then again. .. I have a cry baby.. crap!
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Thu 07/08/21 3:37 pm
Nice! I rarely use wahs though.. but then again. .. I have a cry baby.. crap!
I'll send you a PCB, you can upgrade that crybaby and then maybe you will use a wah. ;)
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Resonance77
Unrated

Post by Resonance77 »

I sent emails to the seller and the manufacturer of the transformers.

Edit - my computer keyboard just started doing weird things and I accidentally posted before I was done with the post.
1 x

Resonance77
Unrated

Post by Resonance77 »

Neither have replied to my emails. Heyboer Transformers is a couple miles from my house so I drove over there earlier this afternoon. There was nobody there at all. There was a sign on the door that said they are closed due to covid. I wonder if the shut down last year and never reopened?
0 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

I mentioned your experience on another forum. Several people replied that they've spoken with the factory in the last week or so. Just thought you might want to know. :)

Jack
1 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

I have successfully contacted heyboer myself,I would get onto amppartsdirect.com they sold you the transformer and should have supplied a schematic with specs with it.
1 x

Resonance77
Unrated

Post by Resonance77 »

Sorry for the delay in response. I'm on the road for work right now and for the next couple weeks.

I finally got in contact with Heyboer. I received the schematics via email, so I now have the specs to work from.

The more I research and learn, the more I am leaning towards just building a 6v6 plexi and saving the parts I have aquired for the JCM800 preamp stage for a true 800 build. I don't think I will be able to accomplish what I want to accomplish with the 2204 pre on a 6v6 power section and have it sound like what I want it to sound like.

I haven't had much time to work on learning any of the schematic programs. I got a call to hit the road for work shortly after the post I made asking for program suggestions. I would like to learn the KiCad stuff and how to do these layouts and bom lists. It would make a scratch build much easier. I am currently trying to put this build together by hand (pencil and paper) in the limited few hours a week I am not working, on a **** old laptop in **** hotel rooms across multiple states.

So the plan right now is to make an 18 watt plexi running a 6v6 power section, ss rectifier, adjustable fixed bias, negative feedback and presence. I'll update once I get home and get a grip on this thing. I'm over my head more than I thought I would be.
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

Can you post the specs heyboer sent you for the transformer?
0 x

Resonance77
Unrated

Post by Resonance77 »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Sat 07/24/21 5:40 pm
I will try. I have the files in an email. I just have to figure out how to get them from there to here. They are excel format.
0 x

Resonance77
Unrated

Post by Resonance77 »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Sat 07/24/21 5:40 pm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

Not relevant to you if you are diode rectifying but the 5V supply is only rated at 1.5amp,both the GZ34 and 5Y3 draw 2 amps so don’t know what they were thinking there?
Thanks for posting the specs and good luck with your build.
0 x

Resonance77
Unrated

Post by Resonance77 »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Sat 07/24/21 6:50 pm
Not relevant to you if you are diode rectifying but the 5V supply is only rated at 1.5amp,both the GZ34 and 5Y3 draw 2 amps so don’t know what they were thinking there?
Thanks for posting the specs and good luck with your build.
EZ81, maybe?
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

EZ81 uses the 6.3V tap which is plenty at 1.5amp,it might just be a “typo” with the 5V supply?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

EZ81 is just as good as having NO tube rectifier. Just go SS and call it a day. You can always add a 100R or 150R sag resistor after the rectifier diodes and have the same effect. I challenge you to hear any difference.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

You must have had a bad experience with that tube. I've owned 50-year-old audio gear with the original 6CA4 still going strong.

As for sag resistors, that's not the only issue. Peak power supply voltage can be very high with a SS supply when first turned on. All the caps and other components need to be capable of handling that. 450V caps aren't expensive, but all the decoupling caps all the way down the line into the preamp will need that voltage rating if the PS is solid state.

Jack
3 x