2 excellent options for 18-36W powered amp builds

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Doxie man

2 excellent options for 18-36W powered amp builds

Post by Doxie man »

Here are two fantastic options for building your 18-36 watt amp circuits. I can attest to Edcor’s quality in both fit & finish and performance. Their output transformers are equally as good. I’ve done side by side comparisons to Hammond, Heyboer & Mercury and they 100% deliver the goods. One nice thing about the multi tap secondary on the large PT is it can run a quad of 84’s or 6V6S with ease allowing for versatility in your power sections. Being stand up models no chassis cut is required for mounting either. Both transformers work excellent with SS rectifiers allowing you to eliminate a rectifier tube entirely while keeping your B+ where it needs to be. I’ve used both of these PT’s with great success over the years…..just thought I’d show everyone another option that’s out there outside of the usual 👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Re: 2 excellent options for 18-36W powered amp builds

Post by geoff 1965 »

i swapped to 275-0-275 secondary in my 18W to get the B+ sweetspot without using current limiters or zeners to drop the voltage with the higher wall voltage most people have now.
those look good but i'm in the U.K. so when you add shipping and import duty "nearly 20%!" they are not viable,otherwise i would have a stash of heyboers.
you lads "across the pond" are spoiled for choice!
0 x

Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Sat 08/28/21 8:41 pm
i swapped to 275-0-275 secondary in my 18W to get the B+ sweetspot without using current limiters or zeners to drop the voltage with the higher wall voltage most people have now.
those look good but i'm in the U.K. so when you add shipping and import duty "nearly 20%!" they are not viable,otherwise i would have a stash of heyboers.
you lads "across the pond" are spoiled for choice!
We certainly have great transformer option here in the US yes 👍. I agree with you on the secondary output. I stopped using tube rectifiers years ago. It’s much simpler and better to just buy the proper PT from the start and use SS recto. More reliable….less potential problems overall.
1 x

Gibson333man
Unrated

Post by Gibson333man »

Doxie man, thank you very much for the heads up on this company.
Just curious, their site says 10-12 weeks lead time, is this normal in your experience with purchasing them?
Thank you again, I'm going to look into purchasing some.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

We're well familiar with Edcor, they are a good brand. I've used them on smaller builds. But they are notoriously slow for getting the transformers from them.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Being Europe based... Hammond is quite available here, so for my marshall type amps I use them for OT. PT is usually inMADout from tube town. They're Italian and quite performant, more so than Hammond equivalent stuff.
For my F€nder type builds I usually buy from TAD. Those are US iron that looks like classictone stuff. I think they are too... old stock
I bought an OT and PT for my next build, a 6G3 clone, with blackface reverb.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

Gibson333man wrote:
Wed 09/01/21 8:58 am
Doxie man, thank you very much for the heads up on this company.
Just curious, their site says 10-12 weeks lead time, is this normal in your experience with purchasing them?
Thank you again, I'm going to look into purchasing some.
When I order, I usually order a few sets. Last Oder I placed took about 5 weeks. I’m not in a hurry though so it’s not an issue for me
2 x

BlueBoozer
Unrated

Post by BlueBoozer »

I have had great luck with Edcor. They do have a lead time tho. They’re averaging around 12 weeks. I am receiving my order placed on June 1st tomorrow.
1 x
Diggin' the blues... drinkin' some booze

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Bieworm wrote:
Wed 09/01/21 2:45 pm
Being Europe based... Hammond is quite available here, so for my marshall type amps I use them for OT. PT is usually inMADout from tube town. They're Italian and quite performant, more so than Hammond equivalent stuff.
For my F€nder type builds I usually buy from TAD. Those are US iron that looks like classictone stuff. I think they are too... old stock
F*n**r :evil:
2 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Tue 09/07/21 6:54 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Wed 09/01/21 2:45 pm
F*n**r :evil:
Sorry. But it's a brownface 6G3 deluxe I'm building.. pretty marshally amp😉
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"