better conversion amp- Blues Jr or Pro Jr?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by JohnnyCrash »

Now it all makes sense!

If I had an amp laying around that I wasn't happy with a conversion would be a better use of equipment!
0 x

novemberrain
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by novemberrain »

What I was thinkin' in regards to conversions is that Vintone does a fair share of their business stuffin' Blues Juniors into pretty custom cabinets, that's about all they do with 'em, they even rivet the stock I.D. plate to the back panel of new cabinet.

Lookin' at the vintage market, stock "unmolested" stuff goes for top dollar, anything "messed with" goes for much less. Who knows, maybe an S2 modified amp will fetch top dollar 20 years from now.
0 x

PCollen
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PCollen »

[quote="JohnnyCrash"]When I had a Blues Jr. (15watts) it was more than PLENTY loud for rehearsals, BUT at real gigs it just couldn't keep up.
quote]

If you are playing a Strat, Tele, or similar guitar into a Blues Jr. you would be surprised at how much MORE volume you can have by running a clean-boost (such as a Sparkle Drive) first in signal chain. Single coil pickups put out only about 50% of the signal amplitude compared to humbuckers. I use both single coil and humbucker equipped guitars, with a clean boost set to equalize amp volume between the two...makes a BIG difference.
0 x

novemberrain
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by novemberrain »

Steven (S2)... I'm not tryin' to poke a stick in yer eye, it's just that I don't like mods! YES your stuff is well thought out and carefully executed, my point is that for every modded amp out there that's well thought out and executed there are a hundred more that get butchered! I see 'em every day, black panel Fenders with extra holes drilled in 'em for master volumes, vintage Marshalls with extra preamp tube holes hacked in 'em, then every kind of misguided transformer swaparoo you can think of. Chassis perforated by some drill happy maniac escapee from a bad "B" movie! That doesn't even begin to address the carnage perpetrated on unsuspecting guitars, the usual examples are oversized humbucker routes done with various blunt instruments, pre-CBS Strats with jagged routes for Floyds, that sort of thing.

For every guy out there with the technical chops to do a proper conversion... there are 100 more without the common sense to know their own limitations!
0 x

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by JohnnyCrash »

Yeah, it does make me sad to see amps modded.

I do like to see homemade amps that us modded circuits though :)

I'm not sure how these PCB Blues Jr.s will hold up in the used/vintage market years from now... but Marshall's been PCB for a while (since the 70s or so) and those amps still hold up well.

If it aint broke don't fix it is what I say, but some folks have different opinions than me - as long as it stays loud I agree hehe :)
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

I haven't taken offense to anyone :)

IMHO, BJs are among the PCB crap that is wrong with amp makers today. If you spend a little time on my services page, you will see I share most opinions about modding vintage gear. I hate it and refuse to do it. Instead, I offer to do my best to reverse those mods. I don't have a problem with the well-done PCB amps of the 70s and 80s, just the poorly done ones.

But, we're talking about BJs here, and there is nothing sacred with those things. With a few hours' work, I can turn them into booteek amps. What's not to like?
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by JohnnyCrash »

HAHA

"Nothing sacred with those things".

Yeah, I agree... they're part of the crap modern PCB in my book too - that's why I got rid of mine and got an older Silverfaced Fender.

By the way, I really have nothing against PCB type amps, although I personally prefer PTP for ease of repair. So here's another "no offense" disclaimer. :)
0 x

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by JohnnyCrash »

KennyO, that sounds like a nice upgrade to me!

I'm looking at a little closed back 10" or 12" Fender Bass amp that would like to get gutted right now!!

Although it is my girlfriend's and she may not like that very much since she's a bassplayer and uses that to avoid offending the neighbors with her new Eden 4x10 cab sitting under her "for shows" amp head.
0 x

T-bones
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by T-bones »

I have to agree with most of the replys, scrap the whole new Fender junk, I have to say there amps just don't measure up to there new guitars, to bad, my advise, quit before you get started. You'll just end up with something that will be a bastard and when you get sick of that crapy tone, well in all accounts good luck in trying to sell it. Music stores are loaded with those Blues what ever they are on consignment and they sit month after month. They look cool in that tweed but they just don't deliver the goods. Keep looking you'll find what your looking for. :wink: T-bones.
0 x

phsyconoodler
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by phsyconoodler »

Hmm,lets see...Fender blues Jr...so-so tones and so-so speakers in a cool little cabinet.Gut it and install a marshall 18 watt circuit...serious tones and seriously good sounds.....everyone who plays it is amazed.....all your friends want one.......no one wants to play their own amps when you show up with yours.......does strats and humbuckers good.......
What is the problem?Do it and actually enjoy playing that crappy little fender box!!!!
"all those holes and extra holes for tube sockets" Don't drill extra holes!Look at S2's and drool!
0 x

Dynaflow_Donnie
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Dynaflow_Donnie »

I like my Jr for rehearsal, its light, grab a guitar and the amp and go, has enough room for a cord and a pedal and your gone. I use it at rehearsal when we're trying to work more on polish and new stuff than trying to get a serious tone. I also like it for an occasional blues jam as with a tube screamer its loud enough to get by in small clubs with (unless the jam is out of control volume wise). I have considered the Bilm mods but thought otherwise, hey despite its south of the border heritage and lousy PCB construction its still got a five year warranty. Its boxy sounding, has flubby bass, but you know what, let it chime, turn the bass down a bit and it records beautifully, I've done two demo cd's with it and it always sounds good. Its a amp you either understand and like or expect to much from it and hate. :D

Regards,

Dyna
0 x

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by JohnnyCrash »

I shot mine in the face. So I guess I didn't understand it for what it was! HAHA
0 x

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by JohnnyCrash »

Speaking of...

I just noticed the new turretboards website. It is a bit nicer than the old one... I had to order some more board material since I was there already :)

How's the p1extreme sound?

I'm looking for a low watt "JCM800" type of amp...

I think I'll do a Hi Octane or the p1x next, but I'm not sure - still deciding... I've still got a Fender Reverb Unit clone (waiting on the last of the parts) and another freak Champ (which can easily be done within an afternoon)...
0 x