Thoughts on the Jensen P15N

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by JohnnyCrash »

Well, hopefully there's no rub on these 15"... I got the speaker yesterday.

I just finished building the cab, now I just need to round the edges, putty up some small gaps, make the grill cloth frame, and cover the thing in tweed.

I'll have my first impressions of the P15N reissues by this weekend, then I'll break them in and hopefully it'll really be ready for a good broken-in review the weekend after that.

I'm praying these 15"s are good - I got a deal and they usually aint cheap, otherwise I'll have to go with the BBQ guy and eBay this one.
0 x

Breogan
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Breogan »

On the other hand I must say that I've heard good reviews about the reissue Jensen C12N... and also the C12K... Both where loaded from factory in Fender Pro Tube amps... And thoose amps got very good reviews (speakers included!)

I don't doubt a vintage Jensen may be way better... but is a speaker which had 40 years playing...
0 x

novemberrain
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by novemberrain »

phsyconoodler wrote:I find that the new Jensen speakers like the P12R sucks bad! The P10R sounds fine as does the P8R but the 12" ones are not great.They are not terrible but they are not worth the money.They have voice coil rub built in from the factory over there in Italy.
Now take them to a reconer and he'll fix 'em up for you,but you shouldn't need to do that.They sound fine after the voicecoils are re-aligned.
I guess the crafty Italians who build these things took a long lok at the originals... the ones they could get... the ones that have a freakin' rub! Then they built the rub into the new ones, that makes it a replica! :lol:

The cones on the originals settle and sag. I poly bag my originals and stick a silica gel packet in there, just the same I have P12Rs that didn't rub no way no how when I stuck 'em on the shelf, then they rub when I take 'em off the shelf!

You shouldn't have to recone a new speaker to get it to work properly. Stuff that's garbage right out of the box makes me wonder what the world is comin' to...
Breogan wrote:On the other hand I must say that I've heard good reviews about the reissue Jensen C12N... and also the C12K... Both where loaded from factory in Fender Pro Tube amps... And those amps got very good reviews (speakers included!)

I don't doubt a vintage Jensen may be way better... but is a speaker which had 40 years playing...
I wouldn't screw around with anything new Jensen when new Eminence is just a phone call away! Fender used a lot of Eminence speakers in their late '80s and early '90s stuff, I think the tweed Twin reissue has designed by Barbeque built by Eminence speakers in there.

"Vintage Eminence" is catching on, when I say vintage Eminence I mean their square ceramic magnet stuff from the early '70s although the paper voice coil Eminence alnicos from the early '90s are commanding a premium price from those who know. Try to find one at a reasonable price, about the only way you're gettin' a deal on one is to buy the entire amp from a shop that hasn't gotten the word yet, replace the speakers with new and then sell the amp!
0 x

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by JohnnyCrash »

I finished the cab (except for the grill, I'm waiting for Monday's UPS delivery of oxblood cloth).

ABOUT THE CAB
The cab is a 3/4" solid Pine 19" x 19" x 9.25" homemade cab I built. Currently it's 2/3rd's open, but I will be putting on a bottom panel to make it 1/3rd open (top and bottom closed, middle open).

This speaker is very creamy. It's thicker and warmer in it's treble/highs.

The upper midrange is thick and creamy as well. I'm very surprised at the tone of this 15". It is very "vintage" sounding and I haven't even broke it in yet. Smooth and fat.

The bass is there, BUT it's main characteristic is thick mids, smooth warm highs, and a fat response - I guess like most old school styled AlNiCo speakers ;)

I'm very happy with this new cab's addition to my home studio :)
0 x

LooseChange
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by LooseChange »

Don't like the Jensen reissues either!

I will put a vote in on the W**** Chicago 15 that Phsyco likes. Takes a long time to break in but mine sounds great now.
0 x

brucechillin
Unrated

Re:

Post by brucechillin »

I completely disagree on the 1950s Magnavox speakers being tone suckers. I have the “P15N” and the “P12N” (P232). Both of those are nearly identical to the Jensen PNs, with the big bell alnico magnets, and both sound killer with lower / medium wattage tube heads. I reconed both, andthey sound magnificent. No Hoover tone suck at all in my opinion. Much cheaper than the ol’ Jensens as well.
0 x