Speaker favorites: compromise between $$$ & quality?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

I am using 2 AlNiCo Weber Signature 10 speakers in my 5E3 based amp. They sound great together, or as a single. Even as a single, each of these speakers has more than adequate punch. The Sig 10S is a little darker tone wise, and breaks up later than the Sig 10. These babies are only $50 each, and worth ever penny. I haven't tried the Signature 12, but this is supposed to be voiced like the 10S. The Sig 12 is $60. I have played through my band mate's cab with 2 greenbacks and agree that they sound best overdriven. They are difficult to get a sweet clean tone from, well at least in his cab.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the g12h-30 speakers voiced to sound like AlNICo speakers but to handle higher wattage applications? If this is true, why not stick to some of the modern AlNiCo speakers that do handle higher wattages?

Anyone ever tried the insanely expensive Tone Tubby Hemp Cone series speakers? I have been wondering if these are really worth the coin.
0 x

JonFrum
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by JonFrum »

I have a G12H30 and two Reverend Alltones.I have to say, I prefer the Alltones. Big, full sound, lots of projection I'll be selling the Celestion and getting another speaker for my 1x12.

Just goes to show, there's no explaining taste.

:D
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

A lot of people are raving about Sammi speakers, and at only $50, but must be worth a try.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

""""A lot of people are raving about Sammi speakers, and at only $50, but must be worth a try.""""

I think when more people try these there will be more people useing them.
Richie
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Veteran?

Post by dotfret »

LOL vintage speakers again! Makes me feel like an old car!

In 70s GB we could get Celestion, Fane and Goodman speakers fairly easily. Fanes were easiest because the factory was only 20 miles away. Celestions were generally liked. Goodmans had a good, slightly warmer sound, but were quieter. Fanes were regarded as tolerable, and usually could handle more power for the money - a critical factor when you have to do your own roadie work! Less cabs, easier lifting.
There was no argument as far as we were concerned. British speakers were all good value, but it was worth paying for JBL speakers. Jensens were good if they came with your amp, but they were overpriced if you bought them separately. Electrovoice were nice for bass. JBL was what everybody wanted. They were literally over twice the price of any British speaker, but people bought them and threw out the Celestions and what have you - JBLs in your AC30 or Marshall cab was a big selling point, I jest not.

Now, in the late 70s a couple of things happened. A firm called MacKenzie started making good cheap speakers, which ate out a chunk of the bottom of the market. You find them in reloaded cabs a lot. The other thing was HH started making their own speakers - previously they had been getting speakers labelled up. The speakers that HH made were serious contenders to the JBLs - those Black Widows are serious business! Despite the fact that HH didn't make valve amps, their speakers are really good. I have been using a pair of HH Power Baby 100w monitors as my stack for over 20 years, and I do have a perfectly good Laney 4x12 which props up my 100w MV at home - I never plug it in. Steve - try the HH speakers first IF it is apparent that they are suited to open back use - if they are designed for a closed cab they should have gaskets on the rear to allow for front mounting.
0 x

Greenback
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Greenback »

Did anyone try these Hempcone speakers. All the big guys go nuts about them ?

http://www.tonetubby.com/
0 x

erl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by erl »

I have a Tone Tubby that a use with a single ended EL34 amp. The amp was a little to shrill with my 2x12 cab (Weber Alnico Blue Dog and ceramic Silver Bell) but with the tubby it smoothed out considerably. One thing I did notice with the speaker is that it has quite a long break in period, and the sound defiantly improved as the speaker broke in, more so then with other speakers I have used. With my TMB I really like the combo of the alnico blue dog and the ceramic silver bell. I have also used a Red Fang with my TMB and tremolo 18 watters and have been very impressed with it, especially for the price. :lol:

Eddie
0 x

Jwalker
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Jwalker »

The Sammi provides the most bang for the buck by far!

Runner up in the bang for buck equation is the Avatar Hellatone 30 (Celestion G12H30).

Both sound great in an 18 watt.
0 x