10" 12" combo?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

BirdZeye

10" 12" combo?

Post by BirdZeye »

I am in planning / research mode of the 18W build.
I saw the survey on speaker combos and was wondering if anyone has tried
a 10" and 12" combination? (rather than the 2x12 or 2x10)

F*nder has a 15W custom shop and G*bson has a 30W Goldtone tube
amp that each feature this combo. I have had the opportunity to play through
each of them and found it to provide a full, very satisfying tone.

Has anyone tried this in the 18W yet?

Tom
0 x

Jason

Post by Jason »

Birdzeye,

Well, my opinion is that different speaker diameters don't sound "right" to me when used in the same cab. I am not saying it's bad or good, but they just don't cut it for me. The old KJL amps used to do this, and personally I thought they ruined the sound. It is probably due to the odd cancellation of frequencies--at least that is what I have reasoned. Different diameters/brands will have much different response curves and abilities, and I don't think it makes for a balanced sound if that makes any sense. Guess i like the tried and true. Sticking with the same or almost the same type of speaker sounds much more incredible to my ears. FWIW, using 2 different 10's or 2 different 12's is much better sounding than going with different diameters/brands. What I have found that is very likeable is running 2 seperate and discrete cabinets [like a 1,2 or 4 X12] in conjunction with each other. I like this--obviously it can't be bad--I love playing through seperate combos or cabinets w/seperate amps. Another cool thing is 2 heads into the same 4X12--I seperate my 900 Lead 4X12 instead of being left/right stereo, I rewire them to be top/bottom stereo. Now that's sweet. The seperate diameters don't do it for me though.

Jason
0 x

BirdZeye

Post by BirdZeye »

Maybe the tried and true combinations are the way to go.
Considering the price of good speakers, it might be wise to
think carefully before jumping into anything.

I have a while before the speakers become an issue. I have a bunch
of parts to buy, and more planning to do. Even if I get there quicker
than planned, I have an 80's Fender Stage Lead 212 that I can connect
before I decide.
Maybe a 2x10?

Tom
0 x

LeeM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by LeeM »

I have read glowing opinions of cabs with one 10" and one 12." If you like the 10 and like the 12, there's no reason they shouldn't sound good together. The only way you'll know for sure is to try it. It's impossible to predict what you'll like based on the opinions of others.
0 x

19rick52

10"-12" spkr cab

Post by 19rick52 »

My 18 watt combo has a 10" Celestio vintage 30 and a Celestion Greenback RI. I like it a lot. By itself the Vintage 30 is not even close to my favorite speaker. However mated to the RI the Vin 30 has tamed down mids and compliments the Greenback sound nicely. I had the Vin 30 laying around after I built a new cab for my Vellocette and put in a 12" G12H-80. I thought I'd try the Vin 30 with the RI after reading about a couple of other amps using them. I'm glad I did. My 18 watt is a Lite version. It's a pretty darn good sounding amp. Works well with any type of pickup. I don't have a way to post sound samples and of course the digital camera is at my daughters so I'll have to post pics at a later date. Rick
0 x