jensen speakers

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

I had a Mod 10-50 in a Pignose G40V that I used for a while. It sounded great, especially after I installed a few of the published tweaks to the amp.
0 x

BooBird
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BooBird »

I'm with Guitardan on the Mod's, I've had high dollar speaker's that sound like crap in the wrong cab or amp, put in the right amp or cab, they sound good ?
But the old Mod sound's A.O,K. in about everything i've tried them in, for the dollar i'll keep buyin them, even though you can find a better sounding speaker for the application ! speaker's just cost to much for me to be guessing which one sound's right ! :lol:
Boo
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

JohnnyCrash wrote: The new Jensen's are made to the exact specs as the originals.
Actually, that's not true. Most of the re-issue Jensens use Kapton voice coil formers whereas the originals used paper formers. This makes a significant difference in the sound. They are also using cones that are pressed harder than the softer originals (they were softer even when they were new, this is a difference in manufacturing technique and why the re-issue cones need a lot breaking in). These stiffer cones can make the speakers sound harsh or clicky at higher volumes and will produce more ghost notes and other unpleasantness unless doped (which changes the overall sound).

There are also a lot of gaps in the re-issue line compared to the originals (e.g. there was not just one C12N variety, they evolved over time).

If you like the way the re-issues sound, enjoy! But if you're after the true vintage tone, you're better off picking up a vintage one on the 'bay (not that expensive, actually) or talking to Ted.
0 x

MoonWatcher
Unrated

Post by MoonWatcher »

The truth be told, the Mod 12-70 is one of my favorites, because it has a fairly unique frequency response (if someone can point me to a similar 12, please do!).

...The 12-70 has a pronounced dip at ~400hz, which seems to work wonders in most low powered amps that I've mated it to, and the 1974X is no different. It really cuts the flub factor, but still has a tight low end. And it also allows more of the upper mids to shine through by notching out some of the boom as well.

Please note that Mods with different power handling capabilities can sound vastly different. The 12-70 is the only one with the 400hz notch, for example.
0 x

mugen
Unrated

Post by mugen »

Hi Guys!

I have a Jensen mod 12-50.

I put it in a 2x12 DIY Cab, closed back and its sounds good in my 18W TMB.

But when I put it on a 1 x 12 DIY Combo open back with the same amp.

It sounds FUZZY when overdriven. :oops:

Is it normal ? :(
0 x