Favorite 10-inch speaker for Lite IIB

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

kyoungsteadt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Favorite 10-inch speaker for Lite IIB

Post by kyoungsteadt »

I saw in this thread that some of you like the Eminence 10-ich speakers.

http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name= ... 618#208618

I'm looking for a better speaker than the stock brown label Eminence speaker in my Lite IIB/Pro Junior rig. I would like to find a 10-inch speaker that rivals a 12-inch Greenback or V30.
0 x

labb
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by labb »

Well, good luck...FWIW, I have a 18watt Super lite playing through two Warehouse Guitar Speakers and it sound pretty good..The speakers are in a closed back and ported cab..Cheap speakers but they are pretty good. I think you will have a hard time finding any 10" speaker to rival the 12" you mentioned.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Eminence and Tone Tubby both make some pretty good 10" speakers, which I think would be worth investigating.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

kyoungsteadt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kyoungsteadt »

Thanks for your responses. I think what I am looking for is out there. I have a WGS Classic Lead 80 clone which I really like for a 12-incher. How does their 10-inch speaker stack up?
0 x

Steve50
Unrated

Post by Steve50 »

If you like Celestions 12in Greenback then consider the Celestion G10 Greenback. I am using one with my 18 watt Superlight and finding it to be a great match with that amp.
0 x

kyoungsteadt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kyoungsteadt »

Thanks! I'll definitely consider it.

Now here's the question. The WGS speaker line compares favorably with Celestion's 12-inch speakers. Does the WGS 10-inch compare favorably as well? If it does it would save me quite a bit of green $$$.
0 x

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

I have built a Lite in a Pro Junior cabinet and used a BBQ Blue Pup with excellent results.
0 x

kyoungsteadt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kyoungsteadt »

Any trouble with the Blue Pup magnet not fitting? Ceramic or Alnico?
0 x

jimipage33

Re: Favorite 10-inch speaker for Lite IIB

Post by jimipage33 »

kyoungsteadt wrote:I saw in this thread that some of you like the Eminence 10-ich speakers.

http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name= ... 618#208618

I'm looking for a better speaker than the stock brown label Eminence speaker in my Lite IIB/Pro Junior rig. I would like to find a 10-inch speaker that rivals a 12-inch Greenback or V30.
Eminence Ragin Cajun -- 'nuff said
0 x

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

kyoungsteadt wrote:Any trouble with the Blue Pup magnet not fitting? Ceramic or Alnico?
No problems whatsoever. It is an AlNico magnet speaker.
0 x

conger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by conger »

I have a LiteIIb in a Pro Junior cab with a Celestion G10 Greenback which I am very pleased with. I have tried several different speakers in the PJ cab while the circuit evolved from Champs to Deluxes to a Windchime II, then LiteIIb with 6V6's and now a standard LiteIIb (with EL84's). I tried 2 different PJ speakers, a W*ber 10F150, a W*ber 10A125, an Emminence Copperhead and finally the G10 Greenback.

The 10" Greenback is by far the best sounding to my ears for classic rock, i.e. amp cranked, playing. It sounds bigger than a 10" and the bass doesn't overpower the small cabinet. It takes a lot to break them in though.
0 x

tubeToaster

Post by tubeToaster »

The stock Pro jr speaker was way to bright with my Lite IIb but sounds great with a 5E3. The Ragin Cajun sounds great with both amps. It has a lot of bass for a 10" speaker. Sounds big, almost as big as a 12".

Dave
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

I have a Ragin Cajun because it's the only decent Eminence 10" I could get in Aust, and I am more than happy with it. But compared to the Celestions, it just needs the bit of upper mid scoop in the freq response. If I could've got it my pick would've been the Red Coat Ramrod, which is reported to have the big and loud sound of the Cajun but the more British voicing with that upper mid scoop in similar fashion to the 12" Celestions. But I've never heard one for myself.....
0 x

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

My first 18 watter, built into an AS50 (acoustic amp) case uses the two stock 8" speakers and sounds total cr*p so I feed it to a 1912 cab with a 12" Greenback (which sounds great but defeats the "combo" objective!)
I never thought of using one 10" Greenback inside - and one will just fit. And it so happens I have a spare 410 with a set of those beauties in ..... Thanks!
0 x
I'm the "wrong" side of the pond: 4,500 miles from real ale. Help!

kyoungsteadt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kyoungsteadt »

The stock PJ brown label speaker sounds good if you keep the EL84 grid reference resistors at 220k. If you raise them up to 470k where they are supposed to be for a Lite IIB to drive the EL84s harder, the stock brown label speaker gets harsh sounding.
0 x

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

Most 8" (and smaller) speakers just don't cut the mustard in any guitar amp. Crate had some a couple decades back that were decent for 8", but still didn't come close to a good 10" or 12" speaker.
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

katopan wrote:If I could've got it my pick would've been the Red Coat Ramrod, which is reported to have the big and loud sound of the Cajun but the more British voicing with that upper mid scoop in similar fashion to the 12" Celestions. But I've never heard one for myself.....
The Ramrod appears to be voiced more like a Celestion V30, so it may not be the best choice for an 18W, at least the regular kind using EL84s.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

kyoungsteadt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kyoungsteadt »

Well, I put the question to Eminence. Which one matches up with the Celestion G10 Greenback?

This was their answer:

Our Ramrod is not a direct match, but I think has some similar
qualities. It has a chunky low end, warm, detailed mids and singing
highs. It also is abundant in nice, clear, warm overtones.

http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speaker_ ... &speaker_s
ize=10&SUB_CAT_ID=4

http://www.eminence.com/soundclips.asp

Regards,

Anthony Lucas
Sr. Lab Technician
Eminence Speaker LLC
0 x

zip008

Go for the Gold! (10")

Post by zip008 »

If you don't want to settle for second best...

The newly announced Celestion 10" gold is getting amazing tone reviews. It is supposed to be available in general distribution in late July or Aug timeframe. It is rated at 40w, so a perfect fit for an 18watt amp.

mmmmmmmmmmm...
0 x

kyoungsteadt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kyoungsteadt »

Better than the G10 Greenback? How much $$$?
0 x