Tayden Speakers (in UK)

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

conger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Tayden Speakers (in UK)

Post by conger »

Anyone heard of or tried Tayden speakers?

Looks like they have a hand made (in England) G12M for less that the cost of a Chinese G12M-25!

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/in ... Path=77_79
http://www.audioloudspeakers.co.uk/tayden_guitar.shtml
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Never heard of them before. Seems like they must have been a professional audio/Pa speaker company that's recently decided to get into the niche opened up by Celestions' increasingly exhorbitant prices. Their 'NEW VINTAGE' Alnico speakers really look the business! Spot the difference with the Marshall/Celestion OEM silver alnico in my current avatar. Hopefully, they sound as good as the originals. Unfortunately, Celestion's modern Blue and Gold alnico speakers don't sound the same as the old silvers, nor does the RI silver in my avatar. If they can recapture that sound, then they're really on to something. Same with their Fane clones, as there's a lack of good Fane clones in the market for those into the Hiwatt sound (although TW does one and Eminence's Tonker is said to have a Fane vibe). Looks like they also do some Greenback type speakers, which is good, but there are others out there doing those already.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

this looks really cool http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/in ... ge&pID=538
Nobody?Any reviews?
0 x

loverocker
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by loverocker »

A couple of customers have asked me about them, and shamefully (because Tayden is only up the A12 from me!), I haven't got a clue. :oops:

It would be good to support a local business...
0 x

Spongebob

Post by Spongebob »

loverocker wrote:A couple of customers have asked me about them, and shamefully (because Tayden is only up the A12 from me!), I haven't got a clue. :oops:

Strange this subject should appear now as I've recently been in contact with Tayden for my Dominator project. They are very helpful and even have a collection of vinage amps. The MD, Paul, tells me a WEM Dom was his first amp and still uses one. Says he can clone 10" ELAC's for me with Alnico's. Sounds very promising.

Spongebob
0 x

John_A
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by John_A »

Spongebob wrote:
loverocker wrote:A couple of customers have asked me about them, and shamefully (because Tayden is only up the A12 from me!), I haven't got a clue. :oops:

Strange this subject should appear now as I've recently been in contact with Tayden for my Dominator project. They are very helpful and even have a collection of vinage amps. The MD, Paul, tells me a WEM Dom was his first amp and still uses one. Says he can clone 10" ELAC's for me with Alnico's. Sounds very promising.

Spongebob
What a refreshing change to deal with the MD, and find out he knows (and cares) about his products!! Nothing at all against Celestion speakers, but you wouldn't get that kind of service there!
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Spongebob wrote:Strange this subject should appear now as I've recently been in contact with Tayden for my Dominator project. They are very helpful and even have a collection of vinage amps. The MD, Paul, tells me a WEM Dom was his first amp and still uses one. Says he can clone 10" ELAC's for me with Alnico's. Sounds very promising.
Not that strange considering that they've only just recently got into the guitar speaker business, and coinciding with when Celestion jacked up their prices. I've also heard other favourable reports about Paul from people in the guitar amp business, that he's been very open to work with them on creative business projects.
0 x

Spongebob

Post by Spongebob »

Here's a link to a UK music mag with a review on Tayden speakers. You can look at a free digital version of the mag http://www.playmusicpickup.co.uk/
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

The Tayden review doesn't appear to be in the online version.

I still think Guitarist is the best guitar mag on the planet. Nothing here in North America comes anywhere near it.
0 x

Spongebob

Post by Spongebob »

zaphod_phil wrote:The Tayden review doesn't appear to be in the online version.
It's on page 37 of the downloadable mag - I've just finished reading it.
0 x

steveh
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by steveh »

Looks very interesting - I may order one and try it out - will report back with any findings!
0 x

JamesHealey

Post by JamesHealey »

a friend of mine tried them and was horrified with how bad they sounded, but that could just be a one off.
0 x

doctornorbert
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by doctornorbert »

The thing to remember about speakers is that they can sound pretty harsh out of the box, only to come into their own after several hours of break-in. Still, I'd be interested to know which model he thought sounded bad.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

JamesHealey wrote:a friend of mine tried them and was horrified with how bad they sounded....
doctornorbert wrote:Still, I'd be interested to know which model he thought sounded bad.
Maybe it was the "Brit 60" model, which is designed to sound like a Celestion V30 - in which case I think it was probably doing the job it was designed to do. :lol:

A couple of acquaintances of mine have been testing out their somewhat Fane-like Retro 55, and found they sounded really, really nice, although not quite exactly the same as genuine vintage Fanes. :D
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

Folks at Watford Valves auditioned various celestions,fanes... and you guess, Tayden

8) http://www.watfordvalves.com/soundfactory.asp
0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Thanks for that Leslie, Actually the Taydens sound pretty good on some of those recordings.. think I need to try a couple.
0 x

Deadwood
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Deadwood »

Those recordings are useless, hel, on my computer speakers they all sounded pretty much the same. Compared to how really different they would sound in the flesh, with the added delay all over the solo tones it's just a wank to think you could make an informed decision.
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

Deadwood wrote:Those Recordings are useless, ****, on my computer speakers they all sounded pretty much the same. Compared to how really different they would sound in the flesh, with the added delay all over the solo tones it's just a wank to think you could make an informed decision.
Haha I agree with you, It seems that signal that passes through various equipment is not showing the raw natural side of speakers.
Lots of speakers can sound very good with mic placed few inches away..especially alnicos and low decibel models because they compress or don't howl at mic.
Capturing with distance mic in room will reveal much of the information that ear usually hears, but again nobody seems to do that :(
0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Deadwood wrote:Those recordings are useless, hel, on my computer speakers they all sounded pretty much the same. Compared to how really different they would sound in the flesh
Yeah of course , you could discredit it for so many reasons but there are subtle differences in the recordings, and yes through computer speaker it will never sound the same as in real life cranked, and who knows what the mixing guy has done with the sound .. but then most of the music you play through your computer speakers suffers the same fate…

IMHO It’s meant as a starting point to get a quick overview of all those speakers, and probably more useful than a written description written by marketing people which can be quite misleading i.e. based on the sounds of your favourite artists , when in fact they recorded with a wide range of amps/speaker.
Most of us don’t have access to all those speakers and never will, but as many threads on this forum attest people don’t want to spend big money on a speaker that they might not like.. maybe this type of media and others like it can help… a bit

Anyhow I did think when listening that some sounded rather shyte and that it needed a bigger range of tones and playing styles to compare, like a clean sound , chords no reverb etc but then you would have hundreds of sound samples to listen to.. Which is probably something the speaker manufactures should do not the retailer. i.e. I think the Jenson site has more sound samples…
And yes all speakers sound very different in real life, and work differently with different amps too, so maybe any comparison is useless until you have it in the exact cab with the right amp, already broken in and and cooking… But by that time you have already parted with your money!

Sorry I appear to be gifted in the “wild rant” department
:oops:
0 x

Deadwood
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Deadwood »

guitarmike2107 wrote: Sorry I appear to be gifted in the “wild rant” department
:oops:
Hey Mike, I like a good rant myself :D
I think most folk are aware that sound samples are useless, be it amps, pickups, pedals, speakers, and whatever else is promo'd by a sample, pedal mods is another, anyone who has ever tried to capture a decent guitar tone knows it's not as easy as one would think, even in the big studios it's more a case of getting a good tone and not so much capturing what the ear hears, it's just so hard to do. Although, state of the art mics and a good room go a long way, the home recordist can only dream.
As far as what speaker should one buy, good luck, as you say, it's a very expensive quest and speakers are one of the bigger links in the tone chain. Anyway, we all know this so I won't blare on any longer except to go back to the Wattford samples, I'd hate to try and define the differences between a green back and a V30 using those samples 8O Just one eg.
0 x