Beats letting them sit...

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Camurai

Beats letting them sit...

Post by Camurai »

While doing some fall cleaning around the house, I ran across a set of speakers I had planned to use in a car stereo project from years ago but never got around to. The wheels started turning, and VOILA! A new project is born.

The speakers involved are an MB Quart QM332.02CX 3-way component set. They've got 8" woofers, 4" mids and 1" tweeters. I think the retail on them new was $750, but I basically got them for a song about 8 years ago. They'd never been mounted or powered, but I dug them out of the basement a few days ago and, just for grins, I wired them up in series and plugged them into the 8-ohm output of my EVJ. They sounded fantastic! Bright and clean with a smooth response curve. A light bulb went on in my head, and I've decided to make a 2X8 cab with them. I've picked up some poplar boards from Home Depot and started cutting. I'm thinking a nice reddish stain and clear finish rather than Tolex. I'll post photos as things progress. At the worst, I should be able to trade it in at a music store toward another guitar. I've been drooling over the Faded Sunburst Epi Dot Studio...
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: Beats letting them sit...

Post by zaphod_phil »

Camurai wrote:I've been drooling over the Faded Sunburst Epi Dot Studio...
I hope you remember to use a tissue to clean the drool off after you finish, or else you won't be welcome in that music store too much longer. :)
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp