Carbon Fibre cabinets

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

Songebob,

Well that would be a drag! Waybe if you put tolex or a thin material on the outside that would help. Hey I wonder if the olde Stienbergers or the parker flys have that issues too! :wink:
0 x

Cknopp

Post by Cknopp »

What I don't understand is what kind of resin is he using that is conducting the shock to his hand? The resins that I have looked at are inert, and electrically insulating. Maybe he needs to spray a continuous skin coat over the entire thing (especially any trimmed edges).

After that, it would have to be inductive to gain any type of charge.

PS: If you look at the BMW F1-09 during preseason testing with their battery KERS system, they had a mechanic touch the car, and get jolted pretty hard. The press release that they sent out after they solved the problem stated that they found out what was happening (wire scraping the CF under full lock), and that their solution was to encapsulate the entire tub in a resin coat to prevent it happening again.

I understand what these guys are saying, but I must say that pre-preg would be VERY suceptible to this, due to the very close mat/resin ratio, but I cannot see how a good topcoat would not fix the issue? That is like saying a wire is not safe even though it has dialetric insulation around it.....

I will take the builders word for it however. I may disagree with speculation with what I have learned, but I will not disagree with experience. Unless he doesn't know what he did in the first place! :-P
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Because it's a very good dielectric it's probably good at accumulating charge on it's surface. Similar to when you rub a ruler with cloth during the cold winter months. If the surface were coated with a conductive film that might help, especially if it could be grounded.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp