100% Accurate Pinstripe Grill Cloth

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

lespaulplayer

100% Accurate Pinstripe Grill Cloth

Post by lespaulplayer »

I don't know if this was already posted. I couldn't find it in a forum search.

There is now a source for apparently 100% accurate PINSTRIPE grill cloth. This cloth is now an option on Germino cabinets.

There's lots of detailed information.
0 x
Livin' the 18 watt lifestyle! :kool:

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

Yep, we recently had a community laugh about it. I guess that's what happens on a steady diet of Red Bull. I think he only quit adding to his website because he ran out of fonts. If I'd known the stuff was that good I'd have skipped the music lessons!

"Can you say, 'hyperbole'? That's good!" -- Fred Rogers

KennyO
0 x

MadDitch
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by MadDitch »

I agree he is very passionate about pinstripes, but it's good to see some great reproductions of Marshal history like this grill cloth coming back to life for us DIYs to enjoy!
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

I was making fun of that site earlier. And you know the worst thing is he doesn't even give you the option of buying it direct from the site!
0 x

colossal

Re: 100% Accurate Pinstripe Grill Cloth

Post by colossal »

LesPaulPlayer wrote:There is now a source for apparently 100% accurate PINSTRIPE grill cloth. This cloth is now an option on Germino cabinets.
That pinstripe is cool for sure but did you happen to catch the $400 upcharge for it?? 8O I hope it improves the tone for that kind of jack! :lol:
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

colossal wrote:
LesPaulPlayer wrote:There is now a source for apparently 100% accurate PINSTRIPE grill cloth. This cloth is now an option on Germino cabinets.
That pinstripe is cool for sure but did you happen to catch the $400 upcharge for it?? 8O I hope it improves the tone for that kind of jack! :lol:
Didn't you read the site for the cloth? :lol:
0 x

timbo_93631
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by timbo_93631 »

That made my eyes hurt...
0 x

colossal

Post by colossal »

krx wrote:
colossal wrote:I hope it improves the tone for that kind of jack! :lol:
Didn't you read the site for the cloth? :lol:
Hahahaha, I just read it. Tone Cloth! I have now heard it <i>all</i> :lol:. Actually, I admire the research and effort (and probable obsession) it must have taken to get it made, hence the cost. And the notion of its acoustic properties is interesting although I would like to see a blind study done comparing differing grillcloths on the same cab before I buy into the claim to added mojo. For the true collector who needs an exact replica though I can see that it would be valued. Far beyond this mere mortal's means but cool nevertheless!
0 x

lespaulplayer

Post by lespaulplayer »

Make no mistake though, it sure would look good on a Trem combo clone!
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

I'm sure different grill cloth can change the sound of an amp. If it is stiff and heavey like cane, it has to block from high end vs a light and open cloth. We're obsesive about resistors and caps - why not grill cloth?

But a $400 up charge?
0 x

joe6v6
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by joe6v6 »

I E-mailed for the prices, for a single peice to do a 1x12 cab is $250 + shipping. There are discounts for mutiple and bigger peices, you can get enough to do 2 4x12 cabs for $800. It does look very nice in the pictures but this is a little more than I would want to spend. .. JOE
0 x

colossal

Post by colossal »

For what it may be worth, here is an alternative pinstripe replica grill cloth material.

To quote the vendor (from the same page): "New Cloth as of OCT 09 . Smoother Finish. More separation. Cleaner lines and Detail...Is it exact? It's close. Is it $ 400.00 more to put on your cab? H*** NO. Will It give that tone ? H*** YES."
0 x

cGil
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by cGil »

If you just want the tone, but don't care for the high price of clone cloth or how it looks, just use a darn blanket! Big deal. :roll:

Gil...
0 x

WesKuhnley
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by WesKuhnley »

Anyone interested in pinstripe cloth that does cost an arm and a leg, check out vintageheadbox.com. Jerry is great to deal with, even if he is a Tiger's fan!
0 x

lespaulplayer

Post by lespaulplayer »

colossal wrote:To quote the vendor (from the same page): "New Cloth as of OCT 09 . Smoother Finish. More separation. Cleaner lines and Detail...Is it exact? It's close. Is it $ 400.00 more to put on your cab? H*** NO. Will It give that tone ? H*** YES."
Just saw that. LOVE the way he put it! :mrgreen:
0 x

demonufo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by demonufo »

colossal wrote:For what it may be worth, here is an alternative pinstripe replica grill cloth material.

To quote the vendor (from the same page): "New Cloth as of OCT 09 . Smoother Finish. More separation. Cleaner lines and Detail...Is it exact? It's close. Is it $ 400.00 more to put on your cab? H*** NO. Will It give that tone ? H*** YES."
I would just like to draw attention to a few things that are going on at the moment, before anybody jumps in and slap down a big deposit with Jerry.
Now I'm not going to scare people and start making any accusations, just to beware is all.

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27721

My apologies about linking to another forum, and also I apologise that there is an awful lot to read through here. But a must read for those that may be considering purchasing from vintage head box at the moment.

I myself have no fight with Jerry, and can only hope that there has been something genuinely wrong, and that he is well/recovering and doing all he can to put the situation right.

But things aren't looking good just yet.
0 x

Ned_B
Unrated

Post by Ned_B »

What I find amusing about the the pinstripe debate is how it was manufactured as upholstry in its original incarnation. I don't know if the question has been posed to the founding fathers of Marshall, but I wonder how it was chosen in the first place. My guess is if it was about looks that might have been a Jim Marshall thing rather than a sonic thing from Ken Bran. Either way it worked.

I checked out an Eric Collins sample and I have say he got the texture and the heaviness right which should insure authentic sonic qualities.
0 x

WesKuhnley
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by WesKuhnley »

demonufo wrote:
colossal wrote:For what it may be worth, here is an alternative pinstripe replica grill cloth material.

I would just like to draw attention to a few things that are going on at the moment, before anybody jumps in and slap down a big deposit with Jerry.
Now I'm not going to scare people and start making any accusations, just to beware is all.

My apologies about linking to another forum, and also I apologise that there is an awful lot to read through here. But a must read for those that may be considering purchasing from vintage head box at the moment.

I myself have no fight with Jerry, and can only hope that there has been something genuinely wrong, and that he is well/recovering and doing all he can to put the situation right.

But things aren't looking good just yet.

I guess this make me an "apologist", but Jerry is a stand-up dude. He runs that business with ONE employee. I'm sure he's just backed up and trying to dig out.

I've seen the pinstripe cloth in person, it's really great looking. I've got a hankering for a tall 4x12, but it won't fit in my car!
0 x